January 21, 2011

Last Family Group and THANK YOU

Thanks for the comments left on my last post.  I was in such a horrible place when I wrote that but the comments and talking to Keven helped.

I wish all of you could've been at Family Group tonight, there was a bit of tension in the room (and by a bit, I mean A LOT).  It was a lot of new people in the group and one woman was there in support of her father.  She didn't say much until near the end when she spoke up after someone shared something about their mother.  With an indignant tone in her voice she had the audacity to say (in a room full of addicts and their parents) that if the mother would have done somethinig earlier she could have stopped her son from becoming an addict.

Well.  The room started buzzing and our fearless leader then gave his (long and boring because we'd heard it so many times in the last three months) spiel on how addiction is a disease, etc. etc. etc.

After this we all assumed the woman would realize that
a) she didn't know what she was talking about
and
b) that she had insulted every parent in the room and caused most of the children to be very angry because they knew it was not their parents fault

But no....she said, "I disagree.  If that mom would have done x, y & z things would have turned out different".  I think I saw steam coming out of the ears of the guy who's mom she was talking about (the mom was not there).

So then all the addicts stared to speak up to defend their parents saying things like "there was nothing my parents could have done to change the outcome...."  Keven added his two cents too.

But she still insisted that parents are responsible for how their kids turn out and that HER three children (teens/20's) were fine because she was strict with them and would not let them get away with using drugs.

At this point we all gave up and I silently prayed that her kids would never be addicted because she would blame herself.

After group I had to say goodbye to a few people I'd never see again, it  was a bit sad.  I've seen quite a few come and go over the last three months and you get attached to some people after hearing such intimate details of their life, such raw emotions shared in our groups.

I overheard one mother telling Keven she was glad she had met him because he had totally changed her view of tattoos and plugs and would never judge a guy by his earrings again :)  Then she told me how impressed she was with him.  Needless to say, that meant a lot.

I said goodbye to a cute young girl that was my personal favorite of the group.  I say young - she's 29.  Anyhow I will miss her honesty and her enthusiasm.  I hope she makes it this time.

Keven moves out of his house on Tuesday.

Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

4 comments:

Syd said...

Glad that things are better today. It takes a while for the blame game to stop. Fear makes people point the finger at others. It is only when we stop blaming others and look at what we are doing and why (checking motives) that things can become clearer. In Al-Anon, so many people will blame the alcoholic or the addict for messing up their life. Yet, addicts/alcoholics are doing what they do--messing up their own lives. Those of us who live with them are letting them mess up our lives. It took a while for me to understand that. That's why I go to lots of meetings--so that I can have reminders that I have choices and no one messes me up but me.

Rahime said...

Ditto what Syd said. Fear is such a powerful motivator. It pushes people to look around to point the finger somewhere. :(

Glad you got some compliments on Keven. :-) He sounds like such a sweet boy in spite of the struggles he's had. I'm crossing my fingers that he'll keep making progress in his recovery and building his life again.

L's in Colorado now with my mom's cousin who she's going to be living with for a while. He flew out yesterday to get her b/c she can fly free with him (his wife's a flight attendant). She's going to check things out out there over the weekend and then come back and has a few more weeks of work here before the real move.

Unknown said...

"But she still insisted that parents are responsible for how their kids turn out and that HER three children (teens/20's) were fine because she was strict with them and would not let them get away with using drugs."

Wow! Your heart's response to pray for her children to never get on drugs, because she'd feel responsible, blesses me.

You and I both know, because we both have kids who used drugs, that a parent doesn't control that situation. If we did, our kids wouldn't be on drugs, would they?

Sorry I missed your post from Jan. 20th. Had I seen it, I would have told you that I think it's totally normal for an addict to be tempted to relapse when they are close to a milestone, due to fear of the future.

Well, wanted to drop by and say hello. It's been a while.

Blessings,
Cheri

Bar L. said...

Cheri, It was so nice to get a comment from you. I checked out your blog and saw all the good family news :)

Thanks for your words of wisdom!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...