January 19, 2011

Paranoia? No, Real Thinking

I'm glad this situation solved itself before I wrote about it.  The short story is something out of the ordinary happened today with Keven and my first reaction was:  he's using!  he's lying to me!  he's being irresponsible!

Immediately the pit in my stomach started to ache and churn, my heart hurt, my anger was rising, I was a mess!

All this was before I had a chance to hear the whole story.  I may have over-reacted a bit, but my thoughts were based in past experience.

Everything is fine, there was a logical explanation (he has a special meeting he has to attend) and I apologized to him for my suspicions.  The real shocker, when I apologized his response was:

"its alright, Mom, I understand"

WOW.  Wherever my defensive, angry son ran off to, I hope he stays missing, this new kid is so much easier to get along with :)



Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

5 comments:

Dad and Mom said...

It's OK to be suspicious. We've all been burned on that hot stove too many times to count yet we continue to touch it. It's OK to be leary of anything that even looks like a stove.

Sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry. Besides, trust but verify isn't such a bad thing, I think that was a favorite line of one of our former presidents. Our sons and daughters need to be aware we are smarter today than we were yesterday and they need to know that we will hold them to a higher standard for their own good.

Syd said...

I like what Ron said--Trust but verify. Very wise thought.

beachteacher said...

yes....when they're really working on recovery....they do understand our old default suspicion. My son said very recently,.."It's o.k. Mom, I understand,..I wouldn't trust me if I were you either."
I also prefer this new guy. Hang tight,....it's very logical,..how you're feeling. Glad to hear what Kev's reaction was to your feelings

Lisa said...

Barb...you know I've been there too. Anyone that has had a son or daughter (or family member) in recovery has more than one occasion where we think "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...." And our recovering addicts do understand that it takes a long time for trust to be rebuilt. And those that are in recovery and working hard accept our reactions. And sometimes that alone seems odd and disquieting! LOL

I'm so very glad Keven had a logical explanation for you.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

That is a good thing indeed

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...