December 13, 2011

From the Perspective of a Young Addict

The most popular post on this blog (according to the stats) is the one called "Goodbye to Heroin Letter".
Recently a young lady left a comment there and I'd like to share it here.  I thanked her for it and told her that most parents appreciate hearing what its like for the addict, and especially coming from someone who managed to walk away from it.  It gives me perspective and allows me to be more empathetic toward Keven rather than angry.  Anger has taken over lately and it serves only one purpose:  to help me say no to him, and to let him go.  But on a day to day basis anger has no place in my heart.  Anyhow, here is what she wrote:

"I was recently struggling with a heroin addiction, I am also a teen. Just 18 years old, started heroin when I was 14. This girl was a strong girl.. Us, heroin addicts, are helpless to change and in fact we try very hard, but only if I could explain how powerful addiction is.. My theory of heroin addiction is like being in a boxing ring with a lot stronger and bigger monster, the monster continues to knock us down, over and over and over again, but yet we get back up and continue the fight against it.. I am a very young girl, and the experience with heroin that I had was terrible, but its why I am who I am today. And I am greatful that I found god and he helped me through this. I pray for every addict out there to get help! In the end GOD WILL ONLY HELP ADDICTS STAY CLEAN AND SOBER.. GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!"

Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

5 comments:

Bristolvol said...

Hi Barbara,
This is kind of off topic of your post. Some other reader mentioned in a comment if Keven works or has ever worked. I don't know what his situation is, but I know that the saying: "An idle mind is the devil's workshop" holds true. If he had a job, anything from flipping burgers to bagging groceries to scrubbing toilets in a nursing home to editing articles for a newspaper (I obviously don't know what he likes to do or what his qualifications are), but anything at all to occupy his time and make him tired and proud of some accomplishment at the end of the day, instead of sitting around thinking about drugs, etc. Just thinking out loud and searching for possibilities. I know that jobs are hard to come by, but he could start volunteering somewhere. I believe that a young man like him, who is obviously able bodied, should not be sitting idle. I may be totally off target since I don't know what he does all day. Just some thoughts of mine.

bugerlugs63 said...

Hi,
Yes that's what I was trying to say;-)
When I have a busy day (most days) but a really busy day, I dont think about having gear until I sit down at night (well not much anyway) and even if I do think about it I'm too busy to DO anything about it.
He should be occupied in some way . . volunteering is a good start and can lead to so many opportunities.
When my Brother got clean (still waiting for him to put testimony on-line for you Barbara-I haven't forgotten) He started doing the only voluntary work available in this town at the time . . In the Baptist church coffee Shop with a load of old women . . . He didn't want to but he did it and it opened all manner of doors. I don't think Bristolvol is off target . . . He needs something else to think about. With love as always and a hug :-)

Have Myelin? said...

Well, as a mother of a severe alcoholic who died - I don't know Keven's work/volunteer situation but I will say this: My daughter worked full-time, never missed a day of work until the day she was admitted to the hospital.

I agree that idle hands would give one more to think about (drugs, drinking, etc) but a full day (work, volunteering, etc) doesn't address the problem at hand.

You have to get to the root of the problem AND keep him/her occupied too.

Syd said...

There is a solution and it is a spiritual one. I truly believe that.

SOBERBOOK.COM said...

SoberBook.com is a safe, anonymous place where ALL people can tell their stories without having to attach a name or face to the words. It is here that you will see chapters about finding recovery, overcoming obstacles, mending relationships, achieving happiness, following dreams, and much more. The goal for SoberBook.com is to create a community of support, camaraderie, and hope for the future.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...