December 6, 2010

Another Heroin Death

One of Keven's close friends OD'd on Saturday.  He was found alone, dead, after shooting up heroin.

I have to write about this young man because I am very, very sad.  I don't know if this happens to other people, but my heart literally aches sometimes and that's how I feel today.

This morning I drove Keven to probation.  When he got back in the car he handed me an envelope that his PO had given him, it was some photos of Keven and Gilbert taken about a month ago at the NAMI walk (they both volunteered to help).  As I sat smiling at the great photos of these two handsome guys I heard Keven say "he's dead".  It was one of those moments that you just want to shake your head and say "no, I didn't hear those words, lets pretend you didn't say that....lets rewind and start over because he can't be dead...."

But he is dead.

The first time I met Gilbert was when Keven brought him home to spend the night, he had met him at Phoenix House and Gilbert had no where to go.  This was not unusual because Keven knows I let his friends stay here for a night or two when they need a roof over their heads.  I was a bit surprised because Gilbert was older (26) and had the obvious tattoos of a Mexican gang.  He didn't seem like a gang member - he was so polite, softspoken and friendly.  Apparently he got hooked on Oxy after an on-the-job injury which led to heroin use.  But at the time he and Keven were clean (this was before Keven's initial relapse so he had about 7 months clean at the time).

Gilbert came over several times after that and I also saw him at court a few times.  He ended up moving back in with his mom and four sisters in a two room apartment in Santa Ana.  His family loved Keven and had never had a white kid at their house before so they made a big deal out of serving him lots of good Mexican food.  Keven looked up to Gilbert.

The last time I saw him he was in a dress shirt and tie and looked like a young professional.  He was smiling and excited about a job interview he had that day.

What happens between moments like that and the moment they pick up again?  I don't know.

Gilbert has two young daughters, age 5 and 7.  Since he was part of Recovery Court they are planning to do a toy drive so that his children will have some gifts on Christmas.  The judge will announce it in court tomorrow.  I am sure there will be lots of tears, to know Gilbert was to love him.

This will be the second time in less than a week that I have sat in a room with a group of people and listened to an announcement that one of their peers/friends had OD'd.  The last time was Thursday night at Family Group at Cornerstone.  I didn't know the young man that people were crying over that night but it still upset me.  This time, it will be painful because I will share in the grief.

I sat in our car and cried after Keven told me.  He just sat and stared out the window.  I said "Aren't you upset?" and he said "You have to be prepared for this to happen when you live this lifestyle".  Well when he said that.... I LOST IT.

I WAS ANGRY!


I yelled at him and said "F____ this lifestyle!  You don't HAVE to have this f_____ing lifestyle!!!"  I'll spare you the rest of my rant but he hadn't seen or heard me go off like that in probably a year.  I let a lot out that needed out.

In a way maybe it was good for him to see me so heartbroken over someone that I didn't even know that well - he could probably imagine what I would be like if he died.  I don't think I could bear it.  I think my body would simply implode and I would crumble to the floor dead.

Everyone in  Recovery court loved Gilbert.  Its kind of interesting to notice that most of the heroin addicts are non-Hispanic.  The Mexicans are usually the ones selling the drugs, not getting addicted to them.  They fill the jails around here for violent crimes (gang related) and drug sales - but most of the addicts are the middle class white kids.  I could tell he was special to the Judge because she'd always call him Gilberto and pronounce it the right way....and his smile was killer.  He was just a doll.  A good son, a good father....he had left his gang life and was doing all the right things before he got hooked on damn opiates.

I hate opiates.  I hate them.  I can't believe another person is dead...and this time too close to home.  There was a third person who also died in the last few weeks so the word is out that there is some "bad shit" on the streets.  ITS ALL BAD SHIT!

I told Keven if he decides to have this lifestyle and use again to go far, far away because I can't take much more.

I was also denied unemployment today because I didn't make enough money in the last 6 months to qualify for it.  AND to top that off, I am paying $333.00 a month for Cobra to keep my health insurance but they have not been paying for my meds so I have to wean myself off Effexor because I can't afford it and its not a safe drug to take yourself off.  But I am not going to borrow any more money from my family and I don't see another choice because I am not paying over $200 for a months supply of it.

This has been a terrible day.

Oh and to top all that off, it was 35 years ago today that my father died.

I hate this day.



Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

13 comments:

~~BRB Queen~~ said...

Sad. Just sad. All of it.

Barbara, go to the website for the company that makes Effexor. They may have a program for free or drastically reduced meds. There are other programs out there your doctor may be able to refer you to.

I was without a doctor so I could not participate, but if you do it while still with a doc you may have luck.

Bar L. said...

BRB, thank you so much for sharing that I am going to check it out right now!

Erin said...

Oh hon, I'm so very sorry to hear that. How tragic. What a crappy few weeks you are having. Love to you.

Annette said...

A shitty day. (((HUG)) I'm sorry hon.

Bristolvol said...

so sorry to hear the bad news. I know someone who's son died of an overdose of oxy and booze the day after Thanksgiving three years ago. He was found dead in his truck. He was 28. I know how overwhelming the grief can get. Sending you hugs and prayers.

A Mom's Serious Blunder said...

Barbara maybe they have a program that will help pay for effexor. Many drug companies do...please check out the manufacturer of effexor and see. I wish you took wellbutrin because i have a whole bottle of the generic they sent me by mistake, a three month supply! Ask your doctor if he will help you switch over I will mail them to you. Wellbutrin XL 300.

BMelonsLemonade said...

I may have mentioned this to you when Gary died. A couple of weeks ago, I lost two friends in a week due to OD. I have not been in touch with them for years because, frankly, I do not keep in touch with old friends who are still using. I thought about death a lot that week, and I remembered a time when I lost a handful of friends every year due to substance related issues. I remembered when I was part of that lifestyle, it was easy to become accustomed to death...and you become numbed to it. Now, I am accustomed to life, and it struck me when these two old friends of mine died. I am thankful that I am not a part of that lifestyle, anymore. In the last four plus years, I have only lost three people in my life, and two of them were over 90 years old. The other one was tragic when a high school friend died of a brain annurysm a day after giving birth to twin boys. Keven may seem unfeeling right now about this, because that is how it is for an addict sometimes...but things get better eventually. It takes a lot more clean time to come back to life. I know it has been a shitty day today...I always go outside and scream at the top of my lungs when I have a shitty day that I can't do anything about. My neighbors are convinced I am a total nutbag.

Also, in NC, unemployment is based on a certain period of time, and it may take several months for the peroid to change before you qualify. I worked at a restaurant that closed down for about 3 months. It took another 6 months for the "period"to change so I could qualify.

beachteacher said...

oh Barbara, I am so sorry....I wish I had better words to say on what I'm feeling about all of this. I just pictured that young guy,with the killer smile,....it hurts my heart to read your description. I could also totally relate to what you told Keven in the car...SO MUCH. It is anger provoking,...all of this SHIT. You're right too,...it's ALL "bad shit" ! I imagined his poor family. :(
Meanwhile, I really do hope that you can switch to another medicine or get some help from the Effexor website that people have commented about. Or maybe you could switch to the Wellbutrin. I used to take that, for about 3 yr.s, and it helped. It also has less side effects than many other meds.
I'm keeping you in my prayers. I'm sorry for all of this. It certainly did all hit at once. Peace to you.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry that you're going through all of this. I truly am.

I have all of this stuff running through my mind that I can't seem to order well enough to verbalize properly.

So all I will say is - I'm sorry. And HUG.

Syd said...

Such a sad thing. Another bright person with so much promise gone. I am very sorry.

Anonymous said...

A very sad story indeed.

Lisa said...

Every time drugs take a young man or woman (who is often a dad or mom, and certainly someones son or daughter) my heart aches.

I am also feeling for you as well, my dear. I know it is to you like what else can go wrong? What else can make you sad? I know you will start to feel better soon but in the meantime, you are in my thoughts and prayers and I wish I could just hug you and cry with you until the tears were gone.

Sherry said...

Hi Barbara - I haven't been commenting much nowadays...but I felt compelled to. I know things will start to get better for you. I said another prayer for you and Keven!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...