December 10, 2010

Very Fortunate for Keven's Rehab

I have mixed feelings about writing this because I don't want to sound negative but I want to be honest.  Also, it makes  me mad but also makes me feel fortunate.

The current Rehab he is in is really, really good.  The people that work there, the personalized attention given to each person, the program structure, everything about it is high quality.  BUT, that's because you have to pay for it.  We have insurance that covered a large portion but check out how much Keven's 90 day stay would be without it:  $25,000!  Twenty five frigging thousand dollars.....that's almost a  year's salary for me when I am working!  For 90 days!  And the thing is - there are no guarantees.  If there was a guarantee that this would "fix" him it would be worth it because it would be like buying his future...but there are none.  A young man from there OD'd (and died) last week after completing the program and being out for less than a month.

On the other hand there is the Rehab he was in last year.  I am not knocking it, it was also wonderful but it was FREE to us and if we would have had to pay it would have been $9,000.  Still sounds like a lot of money but compared to 25 - 9 is not that bad.  I'd say that 90% of the people there were in the county paid program.
There were also very qualified and caring people working there, but the counselor/client ratio was a lot different and they simply weren't able to offer all the resources this other place has.

So the sad truth is - if you are "privileged" (i.e. have money) your get better treatment.  And even though my son was raised by a single  mom with a low income most of his live, he is still privileged because of his aunt and grandmother's generosity.  I don't know how the rest of my family feels about their "inheritance" being spend on Keven's rehab, but she said she would have spent it on his college education if not for this.  Don't even get me started on how depressing that is....college or rehab (i know many of you can relate).

So, all this to say - last night we had an AWESOME family group.  I wrote about it on my other blog.  Keven was called on the carpet and asked some tough questions that related to me.  I sat there listening with half my brain (the co-dependent half) thinking "oh no, this is so hard on him, poor Keven...) and the other half thinking "YES!  FINALLY SOMEONE HAD THE GUTS TO ASK HIM THIS QUESTION IN FRONT OF ME AND HIS PEERS AND FORCED HIM TO LOOK AT IT AND SEE IT EVEN IF HE WON'T CONFRONT IT DIRECTLY".  It was a breakthrough moment for me personally in MANY ways.

I even told the group and Keven that he did't have to use me as an excuse "I hate upsetting my mom" because guess what - your mom is stronger than she was two years ago when this hell started and she does not get upset in the same way and she can take it now!  It was awesome, cause it was TRUE!

Thanks for listening to all this.

I am headed out to Gilbert's funeral and will be reading  your blogs when I get home later.


Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi.
thanks for you blog..

Part of recovery is wrapped in " you are who you are ..you are where you are" ..Privilaged recovery is no gaurentee. ..I didnt have a lot of money ( still don't ha ha ) and my son found a pretty good length of recovery in state run places...

He finally got sick of being sick.. so today is a good day..

Granted the staff etc may be more trained but again..you are where u are...

www.addictionjournal.net

Syd said...

You are doing great Barbara. I am glad that things are going better for you. There are no guarantees, just one day at a time.

Bar L. said...

Anon, I am so glad you wrote because I can see how my post made it sound like I think the more expensive rehab is better for the addict....but you are 100% right, it has nothing to do with any of that, the addict has to be ready and some don't even need a rehab experience to get better. I also apologize to anyone who may think I am knocking county paid programs or less expensive programs. I am not, I am grateful for them and wish there were many many more. I just see that this particular place is extremely well run and the extra attention does seem to help .

Michael said...

The price of the rehab is invalid. You could pay $100,000.00 for 90 days and throw away your money if the addict does not want to be better. An addict has to want to be sober/straight more than they want to be drunk/stoned. Protect yourself cause in recovery ther are no guarantee.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...