March 4, 2011

Good Vibrations and some Guys in My Life

I think sometimes the universe (or God or whatever your beliefs are) sends us messages through other people.

I have a wise friend, Joe, who I  spend many hours with on the phone with.  We talked today and he told me some things he'd noticed about me lately...he was right.  Basically he said I am surrounded by darkness and need to lighten my life (he referred specifically to my rape blog, my son's addiction, my unemployment and some personal stuff)

THEN, my phone rang and it was my lifelong friend, Nuel, who rarely calls.  He told me he wanted to take me to U2!  Of course I said yes and we decided my sister had to be there too.  I was in charge of getting the tickets and I got  us AMAZING seats that were going for $2,000 each on ticket sites but Ticketmaster had a few left at $300 each.  We will be sitting as close as you can be to the band (not counting people in the red zone or GA)

Nuel and I almost got married when I was 21.  I loved him, still do, but it wasn't the right kind of love for a marriage.  I'm glad he will be with me to see U2 and share the experience.  He hasn't been to a concert in over 20 years and he will DIE.  He's also completely computer illiterate.  He's more of the rugged outdoors type and has no use for technology.  The thinks I am brilliant because I knew how to go on line and purchase the tickets....isn't that cute?

He's a "late bloomer to U2" and just discovered their lyrics.  They are the kind of band you can hear for years and not realize you like them until you actually listen.  Big difference.  I finally have something to look forward to in the near future!

Oh and that brings me to the final guy.  He wants to take me out.  He likes me.  He thinks we'd be good together, etc.  BUT, he's a musician.  Being the music lover that I am you'd think this would be a positive, but I've dated enough musicians to know that its not an easy life having women/girls throwing themselves at your man constantly.  And he's very good looking.  He spent a lot of time touring and doing the "groupie" thing.  He said he's tired of "Barbie Dolls" he wants a real woman with depth and intelligence, etc. etc.  Well, I am certainly no Barbie Doll, and in the words of U2 "Big Girls are Best" but I still feel red flags waving around this guy.  I need to be careful.

I will end with my favorite U2 video.  I don't know if this has the same meaning for the rest of you - but for those of us who lived here and experienced this it was insane!  I was down in Orange County when I heard on the radio that U2 was doing a live performance from on top of an old building in LA.  Even if I would have headed up there, I would have missed it but I was glued to my radio and then later saw it on the news and of course we all got to see it when this video came out.




Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

9 comments:

Nikki Neurotic said...

When I was younger, still in college, my best (guy) friend wanted more than anything to get me U2 tickets because I loved them so much. He never did. And he broke my heart by marrying a girl he'd only met a few months prior. I've still never seen U2, and I probably never will.

Syd said...

Good for you Barbara. It sounds good to me. Like the new back ground too!

Bar L. said...

Silver Sweetie, never say never. They aren't going anywhere anytime, so lets hope by the next tour we can both go - maybe even together!

Syd, thanks :) I think this is maybe a bit too loud, but I wanted to be bright and cheery. I might tone it down just a bit.

Momma said...

You sound goo, Barbara. And I think your new background speaks volumes. WOW!

Momma said...

sheesh! typing too fast. GOOD, you sound GOOD!

Bar L. said...

Thanks, Momma, I needed to brighten things up a bit around here.

beachteacher said...

I LOVE this post ! :) I really owe you a message by the way.

Mike said...

I owe you a red flag, since I always do it......

Be careful.

Bar L. said...

Thanks, Lori!!

Mike, Mike, Mike....your red flags would have saved me so much heartache if only I would have listened to them. You'll be proud to know that I finally get it, see this dude as a major red flag and will not be seeing him. Like most of the men I meet on dating sites, he's already talking about all the sexual stuff he wants to do with me before we've even met. I always say "I give up on men" but I never do. If only there were more like you out there. But, every single man I admire and respect is married which tells us what: MOST of the good ones are taken. Not all, but most. Its a fact and if one more married person tells me its not I will scream. Try being single at my age and then talk to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...