April 1, 2011

An Addict in Our Son's Bedroom


I'm sure most of you who read here have already visited Ron's blog, "An Addict in Our Son's Bedroom" in the last two days but IF NOT - don't miss it.  Yesterday he wrote a very poignant post about what its life being the parent of an addict.

I've often struggled to find the words to describe to certain people in my life what its like, but to truly understand it, you have to live it.  Yet Ron managed to paint a very accurate picture with his words.

Reading his post also made me thing that those of us that are in this situation have a bond to one another because we feel each other's pain.  Its why cancer survivors have a bond, or on the other side of the coin, why fans have a bond with other fans of their favorite sports team or musician, etc.  (whenever I meet someone who has seen Bruce as many times as I have, we're immediately bonded!).

Then today's post he wrote was about  a play put on by a local high school.  Its a POWERFUL performance called "Under the Influence".  Check out his blog to get the details.  It would be incredible to somehow have that performance available to ALL high school students all over the USA.  To me, its the kind of thing that will actually speak to a teen that is contemplating using.  I have to wonder - if my son would have saw something like that would he have still gone ahead and picked up his first needle KNOWING it would devastate his family?  I doubt that crossed his mind, and it may not have mattered.  But believe it or not, I think he would have thought about it more.  There is no way an addict can know beforehand how their disease spreads to the entire family, but this play demonstrates how that happens.  I want to see it!

Oh, and speaking of cancer, my mother celebrated 10 years cancer free today.  When she had colon-cancer surgery ten years ago the doctor told her it would most likely return in five years.  HA!  She's the healthiest, strongest, most energetic (and stubborn) old lady (86) I've ever met!!!

Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

5 comments:

Syd said...

Congrats to your mom. That is great news. Whether a parent or not, we all do have a kinship through struggles with those who are substance abusers. The effect on each of us and our tools for recovery are similar.

Bar L. said...

Thanks, Syd. I agree that we all have a kinship and that the tools and effects are similar, but also I do see that there is a different dynamic between parent and child and spouse/spouse.

Anna said...

Good for your Mom. Spend all the time with her that you can getting all the joy you can from this world and this relationship.

I have learned a lot from the spouses of those with addiction. In some ways they have it better and in some ways they have it worse than the parents. We are rarely financially dependent on our children yet spouses are often in this situation. Many of us lean on our spouses to help ease the pain. When it is the spouse causing the pain you can not lean on them.

Bar L. said...

Anna, great example of one of the ways its different. Imagine having to deal with both, I know a few people who do.

Dad and Mom said...

Thank you Barbara.

Great for your mom.

Watched the second performance last night and saw the actors put more passion and emotion into the performance. I agree I'd love to be able to show this everywhere. I am working on the teachers to make this a mandatory performance for every student in the school. We want them to perform it during the day during school where every class has o see it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...