April 12, 2011

Court Doesn't Want to Give Up On Him

I'm kind of teary eyed as I write this.  Just got off the phone with his attorney.  When she brought up Keven's case today the judge said she did not want to make a ruling yet, she doesn't want him to opt out, she believes that this program could save his life.  Our attorney actually got choked up when she told Judge L. what Keven was thinking.  These people care about my son.  They care about all the addicts in their program.

So nothing was decided today.  Our attorney spoke with Keven and pleaded with him to THINK HARD these next two weeks about his decision.  Kev admitted to her that he could not stay clean on his own.  She said "then imagine your mother at your funeral looking at you in your coffin" and he started crying.

It may seem harsh, but its a reality for all of us parents who's children choose to keep getting high.  It only takes ONE TIME.  And Keven often uses alone so if he OD'd there would be no one there to call 911 or initiate CPR.  I've imagined his funeral in my mind so many times....I don't want him to die before me.

So he will sit in jail for the next two weeks deciding if he's willing to do WHATEVER it takes, or if he wants to opt out.  He can't say "I will stay IF you put me in xyz rehab and not abc rehab, he has to go wherever they say.

This is what I want.  This is what I believe he needs.  He sees jail time and coming home as the "easy way" out but he's only looking at the immediate future, not the long term affects on his life.

The judge even lifted a no contact order with one of his buddies in the program who is doing really good so he can encourage Keven.

Once again, I am blown away that there are parts of the judicial system that truly care about and have a passion for addicts and sobriety.

Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

9 comments:

Mike said...

I am praying for You and Kevin. I am so glad they are showing restraint and giving Kevin a chance to think about his long term effects on his decision.

A Mom's Serious Blunder said...

Where do I sign my son up for that court system because it has been pretty ugly here.

beachteacher said...

Oh I agree with MSB,...how I wish our VA. court system had such a thing.....not even at all close or thinking of this approach. I am praying hard for Keven to make the right decision, which CAN lead to his future peace and happiness ! And oh yes,...aren't our addicts just so "what will I have NOW" vs. "what will be my future" ? I'm glad that the no contact order was lifted with the recovering friend...and hope that Keven will really absorb what he's told by him, and let it guide him. I'm praying for him and you, every day.

Erin said...

Wow that sounds like HOPE! I am glad to hear he has been given time to reconsider. I hope he realizes the value of this opportunity and takes it.

Sue said...

Awesome. xoxo

Syd said...

I am really glad and hope that Keven will make the decision that saves his life.

Tori said...

I wish my son was in that Court system as well. I don't understand why my son (and maybe yours) would rather do the same time in jail?

The only thing I can guess with my son is that he kept telling me that if he went to jail he would get out a lot sooner then if he went to rehab.

I will pray he makes the right decision. Another two weeks may do him a lot of good. You never know what will make him change we can never give up hope can we?

I wonder if my son spent a couple of months or even weeks for that matter in jail would he change is mind? He was only in the drunk tank for 3 days never in County. At least now he knows rehab isn't as horrible as he thought. I hope.

kc bob said...

Wow! Like Keven I am tearing up over this news. Hang in there dear friend. Stereotypes are falling all over the place.

The neverending battle of child's opiate addiction said...

I agree with "A Mom's Serious Blunder", pretty ugly where I am also. I work at the court and know their mentality. They basically turned down a million dollar grant that probation was going to get for drug court because they don't want to "babysit" the addicts as they haven't got a chance in hell of getting clean anyways. Seriously, this is the exact talk coming out of the officials in my town's mouth. Pretty sad:( Super glad that Ant has a fighting chance coming from a compassionate and caring court system where you are.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...