April 5, 2011

Employers Taking Advantage of Desperate Times



I want one of these shirts!

I am searching and apply for jobs daily.  Seven days a week.  Looking at every job site out there.

Positions that were once paying 16 - 18 are now paying 10 - 12.  I wish I was kidding.  Its freaking me out because I can't even get a job that pays half of what I was making before?  Just a few bucks over minimum wage?

I have over 20 years experience and am considered to be a kick-ass administrative assistant but....no one seems to care.  I don't speak Spanish, I am Old, My skills are becoming obsolete because of technology.

I feel so tired when I think of going back to school - plus can't afford that.  This is not fun.

This is getting scarier every day.  I keep reading that things are getting better but I don't see it happening here.

Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

4 comments:

Dawn said...

I hear ya Barb! It's the same in the twin cities. I'd like to know where the hell these jobs are that they are talking about too!
Who wants to go to work doing what they once were before for less money?? Not me......it's very depressing at times!

travelspirit said...

Barbara -

I said a prayer for you to find a job! I truly believe you will soon!

Sending you peace, hope and love!

~Sherry~

Cadan Henry said...

hi barbara,

i enjoy your site. you write very honestly. frankly, yours is the only site i've read all the way through. anyway, some ideas from a self employed person. in my area housekeepers make at least $20 per hour. i got a flyer on my door the other day 'women in boots'. they say they will do anything around the home; $22 per hour. your skills are still very valuable. maybe try working for many different people part time like a book keeper, filing, phones, etc. say you will go to their house and work in their home office. stores too many times are looking to organize their offices and have phones answered. hope this helps. you didn't ask but i'm a problem solver by nature. doesn't mean i'm always right but sometimes my jabbering can lead to a new idea.

cadan

Anonymous said...

I understand completely. I went from making over $15 an hour in 2001 to $13 at the Census. I am now working for the state making less than $10. I took the job for the benefits. Now I am going to have to start paying 2% toward my retirement and my cost of benefits will probably go up $100+ a month. Soon I will have to pay to work there if I don't get laid ogf in Gov. Scott's new budget.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...