June 30, 2011

How To Prevent Your Child From Using Drugs

Lofty title, isn't it?  Don't you wish there was an answer, a one-size-fits all, sure-fire way to make sure our children never experiment with dangerous drugs and open the door to addiction?

I've been thinking about this a lot and recently.  First we have to remember what does not work for the majority of kids:


  • The drug awareness programs introduced in elementary school
  • Parents talking to their children about the dangers of drug abuse
  • Parents being involved in their children's lives, knowing their friends, keeping a close eye on them

For some, these things may be enough, but in previous posts when I brought this topic up there was an overwhelming response that the above methods don't work.  Some parents said the drug awareness programs actually had the opposite affect on their child (all boys) because it ignited a fascination with drugs (my boy included!)

Other parents wonder where they went wrong because they warned their children, they spent time with them, they knew and liked their friends....they did everything right.  If that was all it took, how many children would end up addicts?  A very small percent.

Here is my latest idea on what MAY have helped my son and prevented him from becoming addicted to heroin without me even knowing.  Its too late for Keven, but I think this is a really good start for other families with younger children:

DRUG TEST YOUR KIDS FROM AN EARLY AGE

How early is up to the individual family, I would have started when he was 13 if I had known then what I know now.

I've come a few of arguments against this:
  1. "I don't want my child to think I don't trust him"
  2. "Its too expensive"
  3. "Its an invasion of his privacy"
  4. "It seems unnecessary because my child is a good student a good person and would never be dumb enough to try drugs in the first place...."
If I had to do it all again I would sit down with Keven at age 13 and explain to him that he was entering a time of life when other kids his age experimented with drugs.  I'd explain that even if they think its "fun" it could lead to addiction, then I would explain how addiction destroys lives, and may end in death.  I'd tell him that I am going to do my part as a parent and randomly test him even if I did not suspect a thing just to ensure he was safe.

Of course he would have a fit and say "no way" but at age 13 I still had the upper hand and would insist on it.  At age 13 he didn't know how to fake a drug test and pass it.  At age 13 he truly was innocent and had nothing to hide so it may have not felt like that big of a deal to him.

1)  If he said "don't you trust me?"  I'd say "this has nothing to do with trust, it has to do with safety and your well being."

2)  If I thought it was too expensive, I would find something to cut back on so I could afford it - but really, what's $20 - $40 per drug test compared to over $25,000 in rehabs, hospital bills, legal fees, etc. etc. etc.  

3)  If he argued that it was invading his privacy I would remind him that he does not have the right to that kind of privacy until he is an adult paying his own way in life.

4)  I never thought my son was someone that would not try drugs.  I actually thought he might based on his personality.  I can understand how some parents would find it hard to believe that their child would choose this path - but look at the sidebar of my blog with the list of parent's who raised their children right, with love, with sacrifice, with discipline and moral teaching and...all the "right things".  There simply are no guarantees it won't happen to your child.

 I've been told over and over by doctors and my son's legal team (attorney, probation officer, judge) that the typical test you buy off the shelf  usually not effective enough.  It may be old, or hard to read or whatever.  So, I'm not suggesting this one out of personal experience, but I have read a lot about it and its the best one I've seen so far:  Teensaver's Home Drug Kit.  I like the name of it too.


 It even looks easy to use and tests ALL the drugs not just a few.  These days with so many things out there, that's important.

Ok, so what do you all think?  Would you drug test your child?  Have you?  I have plenty of times after he became addicted and it didn't make a difference!  I think maybe it would have stopped him if he knew he would have serious consequences if he had a dirty test....I'll never know.


Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara





11 comments:

Erin said...

This is really important for me to think about. My older son is 15, very strong-willed and absolutely insistent that he will never use drugs because "it's stupid" and even at 15 he has seen things like weed "fuck up" some of his friends. I am keeping a close eye on him, but so far so good. He has big dreams for his life, and I know he knows what it will take to achieve them. Nonetheless, I'm not naive, and like to think I have my eyes open. But then again, I don't know if any parent sees it coming.

My younger son, however, at 11 is a follower and dying to fit in with his friends. He's the one I worry about, and will pay close attention to.

With either of them, I'm not afraid to start drug testing at any time. I value your experience and wisdom, and appreciate that I have it going into these teen years. So thank you.

Bar L. said...

You are a wise mom. Your younger son reminds me so much of Keven. Keven said drugs were stupid too - when he was 13, 14...but by 15 he was drinking and smoking weed, by 16 he added coke, ecstacy, xanax, etc. and by 17 was addicted to heroin. I know you and your son (through you) and I have a good feeling about the older one :)

Bar L. said...

PS Erin, after you think about this, please let me know (here or privately) if you would consider testing your kids?

Lou said...

You know I'm all about drug testing. I keep a 12 panel test (around $35 at Target) on hand all the time. My trust has been breached, my son knows this, now he has to prove it. End of story. Parents waste valuable time "wondering, speculating, hoping"
about drug use.

Intervene early and intervene often. That would be my mantra now. Too late for us, and I wonder if I would have listened before.

Bar L. said...

Lou, we'll never know what may have been different and I don't allow myself to ask the "what if" questions. I'm glad your son is where he is today.

Erin said...

Oh I would definitely consider testing them.

My 15 year old is rarely away from home -- he doesn't go to his friends houses or have sleepovers with them, they always come here. He doesn't go out with friends to the mall or movies or anything like that at all yet. He rides the bus to and from school and is always on time. There just isn't much opportunity for anything with him. He's very social, but all but one of his friends come from crummy homes and they prefer to be here. There are only a select few kids who I will leave home alone with my kids. I don't keep booze in the house. I try to be smart.

Again, I am not trying to sound naive, but maybe I am. I do pay close attention to what is going on. We've had many talks about it. He knows I pay attention...I still log into his Facebook and email even...I know the day will come soon when I'll have to test him, too.

Topper said...

I think this raises a good point. If I knew then what I know now...I might not test without a reason, but I did find that my son was smoking pot at age 13. I should have intervened earlier and more strongly than I did. That would have been a good time to start that for sure. It would have saved me from doing it at age 22 when he was home from rehab, and finding that he was using opiates and benzos again.

Rahime said...

I would. Not sure it would prevent a kid from using (Darn, with that title, I thought you'd stumbled on a some sort of magic), but certainly I'd rather know from early on if my kid/s were using rather than spending years in denial like I see happen a lot. Depending on the kid, I might start as early as 10.

Iris Flavia said...

I have no kids. But when I was about 11 the movie Christiane F. – We Children from Bahnhof Zoo was shown in the youth center in our town - and I never ever had the idea of using drugs (not before but especially) afterwards.
But maybe... these days this movie wouldn´t shock anyone at all anymore.

Is it known outside Germany, I wonder?

If I had kids, I´d be pro-testing, btw.

AddictionStinks said...

I didn't drug test before, because at first I didn't even know off-the-shelf testing existed. Then when I found out, probation was already doing it for me on a monthly basis. Did it stop him?? NOPE! In fact, he would smoke weed the night before the drug test!! Sometimes I wonder WHY he purposely sabotaged his life that way.

Anyways, now when he gets out of prison in 6 weeks, he knows we will be randomly testing and he's fine with it. So yes, I will be testing. He's a 22 year old adult now who no longer NEEDS to live in my home, so if he fails, he will no longer be welcome here, and he knows this.

As for the other 2 younger kids, I haven't tested them. The 19 year old couldn't be more opposite from J. He's a total geek! The 13 year old is just beginning to come into the horrible teens so I've got my eye on him!

Annsterw said...

"Anyways, now when he gets out of prison in 6 weeks, he knows we will be randomly testing and he's fine with it. So yes, I will be testing. He's a 22 year old adult now who no longer NEEDS to live in my home, so if he fails, he will no longer be welcome here, and he knows this."

Cudos to you AddictionStinks!!!! Way to take care of you and give the addict some clarity!! :-)Prayers your way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...