October 26, 2011

The Past Catches Up With Me - in Jail

Over the years I've chosen very carefully how much to tell Keven about my teens/early twenties. I let him know that, yes, I did try drugs and drank and smoked - but made it sound very casual. In reality, I was quite the party girl and had somewhat of reputation because of it.

Well, last night I get a call from jail at about 9:30.  I was a bit alarmed since we'd already had our nightly call and he's never called that late.

It turns out that one of the guys in his cell KNOWS ME from back in the day.  He was standing next to Keven and had him ask me if I remembered him (no) and then started listing a bunch of people to see if I knew them.  Turns out we ran around in the same circles and he knows my ex-sister in law, friends of my brother, friends of my sister, friends of mine AND Keven's dad.

They got a big kick out of this conversation.  The last thing the guy asked was if I remembered a certain party house that had wild parties almost every weekend....I said yes.  That was his house.  So now I am wondering what other stories this dude might be telling my son about me!

I'm not worried about it, it just feels odd, you know?  I didn't want to ask what the guy was in for since he was standing right next to him, but I'll find out later.

I would really prefer that Keven didn't hear about my party girl lifestyle, but it is what it is.  Am I embarrassed or ashamed?  A little of both.

BTW, That "diablo" in the pic is  the high school mascot for MVHS, the high school  Keven and I attended until the beginning of our senior years.  He was expelled for being high in class, I left to finish school early at a continuation school because I could not tolerate HS one more year and I needed to work.

Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

8 comments:

Jay Noel said...

Wow. That is awkward!

But I'm glad YOU are not in jail, as that's what I thought from your post headline.

Bar L. said...

Jay, Ha! I didn't think of it that way but you're right, that's what it implies. I have never been arrested but I was handcuffed, driven to the Laguna Beach PD. They took a mug shot, fingerprinted me and stuck me in a cell to wait for my mother to come pick me up. I was 16 years old and two undercover cops came up to my bf and I as we were tokin on reefer on the beach (in broad daylight - duh). When they searched my purse they found "a lid". They did charge him but I think they knew I just needed a good scare.

Syd said...

As kids, we all do crazy things. The difference is that at some time we grow up. Glad that you weren't arrested. I don't worry about the past. It is done. I do my best to not repeat those behaviors today.

Anonymous said...

REHAB VS JAIL:
COASTAL WELLNESS AND SENTENCING CONSULTANTS SAVED MY SONS LIFE....ADDICT IN TROUBLE FACING JAIL? PRISON? HERE IS A WELL ROUNDED SERVICE WITH EMPHASIS ON REHABILITATION NOT INCARCERATION.
http://www.coastalwellness-rehabnotjail.com
Check this out...

Meow (aka Connie) said...

I thought you were in jail, too, when I read the heading ... sooo glad you are not.
Wow, that's a bit awkward, ... although the past is the past, and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with here and now.
Hope it doesn't bring up too many questions next time you see / talk to Kev.
Take care,
Connie

Annette said...

Barbara, thank you for always leaving such sweet heartfelt messages on my blog. I know that you know exactly how I am feeling these past weeks.

You know, I had a very "good" background. I never did anything "bad" because I was so crazy from being raised by my alcoholic parents that I couldn't fathom acting up. Who would be in charge and manage everything if I got out of control?! But D has some stories and he has always been very honest about his past and his time of brokenness which resulted in his spiritual awakening, and his life from that point onward. Imo, walking in the light is always the best path. To have the option taken away from you though by this person is what really would bother me the most.

BMelonsLemonade said...

Barb...I have often wondered about this with my son when he gets older. Because my writing puts it out there, I have thought about this kind of thing a lot. And I have come to terms with the fact he may know these things about me (hopefully through my published books!)...but that will never be the person he knows. Very different in awkwardness, of course, but it is what it is. So, don't stress about it...

Anonymous said...

Oh Geez! Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.

WORLDS COLLIDING!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...