October 14, 2011

Signs that an Addict is High or Using

I'm interested to hear what specific individual signals you get that your loved one may be using again, or is high.  There are some universal things that we all see, most of them are pretty obvious:


  • pinpoint pupils
  • nodding off
  • track marks
  • poor personal hygiene
  • sleeping a lot
  • needing money
  • stealing 
  • etc. etc. etc.

But what tell tale signs do you see in your addict?  Here are a few clues I should have picked up on this time but told myself to ignore (I know...I've heard about that river in Egypt!)


  • tilting his chin up slightly when he talks
  • more nervous ticks than usual
  • kissing me goodbye (rather than just hugging me)
  • having new ideas of how to make money (he had me buy him an extra carton of cigarettes (his money not mine) and then he sold them so he could have cash - DUH!)
  • going into detail about how well he's doing in recovery (on the 3rd Step, etc.)
Now that I've written these down, hopefully next time I see one I will know what's going on.  But then again, what difference does it make if I know or not?  The pattern is:  Use till you get caught, do your time, get out, use again till you get caught....


Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

6 comments:

Have Myelin? said...

My favorite one: "I'll make you rich!" =(

Dawn said...

My son mumbles - not slurred speech - He's very hard to understand and gets very upset if you ask him to repeat what he has said. He's more emotional - after a few days of using. He makes promises he can't keep. I know immediately when he has been using - UGH!!

Anonymous said...

My daughter has fetal alcohol syndrome. Her mood is labile because of that. Usually when she is overwhelmed, she shuts down. When she has been using, she will rage when she is overwhelmed. She also has been diagnosed with cyclic vomiting syndrome and drugs seems to be a trigger for that.

Anonymous said...

My daughter has fetal alcohol syndrome. Her mood is labile because of that. Usually when she is overwhelmed, she shuts down. When she has been using, she will rage when she is overwhelmed. She also has been diagnosed with cyclic vomiting syndrome and drugs seems to be a trigger for that.

notmyboy said...

My son, normally quiet and reserved, becomes very talkative and friendly. He also paces.

Bar L. said...

Thanks for sharing, these are all very interesting.

Kev does the pacing thing too, forgot about that one, its very obvious when he's pacing all over and can't sit or stand still.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...