September 22, 2009

The $20 Question

Its sad that there's such a negative stereotype out there of what a "drug addict" is like, and its even sadder that so much of it is accurate. 

We love our children, we just hate their actions.  I love my son's friends too.  I am having one of those heartbreaking moments of "knowing" I was just lied to but I was really more of a bystander so I just listened, hugged her and told her I loved her and to "keep being good" (I have no idea if she's using or not, I always say that to her).

Here's the situation, tell me what you think:

Yesterday I was not home.  "Kelly" called my house and asked my mom if she could borrow $20 for one day and pay it back the next day when her pay check went through.  My mom, knows Kelly's history.....we've known her a long time and I won't go into details but I BELIEVE she is no longer using, but that she is very co-dependent with her boyfriend (also K's friend) who may or may not be using.

So shock - she just came over and paid my mom back!!!  I am very happy about that quick turnaround but I felt like she was lying to us.  She had a story of why she needed the money (the truth usually doesn't make you think you need to go into a long explanation).  Also, it was only $20, why didn't she ask her mom?  And what was so critical that she had to have $20 right away (possibly gas for her car...that's legit).

I don't know, its just feels funny to me.  Perhaps I 'm jaded.  Perhaps I'm wise to this kind of behavior.  Either way, I am glad she paid the money back and I wanted to hug her forever (she is so thin I wanted to feed her too).  I know her mom, she's a great mom.  I should invite her to read our blogs - she's definitely a candidate for this club none of us want to belong to).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...