September 8, 2009

to my son:





I love you. I believe in you. I will support your efforts to get clean by driving you to meetings, etc. and by listening and caring. I will not tolerate any more of your lies, stealing, manipulations or coercion. I know you can do it, when you are ready. I hope you are ready. You are the world to me...that song I made up for you when you a baby, I know you till remember it and I still mean every word of it. It won't be easy, but its not impossible. I will miss you if you are stuck in jail. Let me know what books you want, I love it that you're reading so much.  I know what I've done wrong in the past and I am not going to repeat those mistakes. I never want to send you back to jail, but I will if you break the law in my home. I love you more than words can say. You will only understand when you have a child of your own. Please look at your future possibilities - you are just 18, your future is a blank slate and you can create it to be whatever you want. I will help you, I won't enable you. I've been sleeping in your bed cause of my back injury, but I have to admit, I like it in there, I feel close to you, I smell your cologne and smile. You can do this, K. One day at a time.

Love, Mom

5 comments:

Zoe said...

(((Barbara)))

Mom of Opiate Addict said...

What a lovely letter to your son, such loving words. You seem to have found a bit of peace in your heart which I presume is from releasing this to your Higher Power. All of my peaceful moments are when I give up my illusion of control and let go. I hope that you continue to fill your heart with peace.

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Lou, thanks. The letter was very impromptu and yes, I think I just LET GO last night because I feel a huge relief (peace?).

Zoe!!!!! Thanks sweetness. I miss you.

Mom, Yes, like I said in the comment back to Lou - it just sort of flowed out last night right before I went to bed. I feel good. I will remember the smiling son of two years ago and wait for his return and hope that the scowling son of this last year fades away for good.

Her Big Sad said...

Oh Barbara, I am so sorry - Mine just did 120 days and it does hurt. But it is also a big relief. She was safe, housed, fed, sober, and had LOTS of time to read and think! Your loving letter to your son is so full of hope. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Starrlight said...

Hugs Barb. Stay strong =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...