September 27, 2009

"Mom, Please Search My Room"


On my last visit with K he told me there was "stuff" in his room and asked me if I would get rid of it for him.  He wants the house completely drug and paraphernalia free for when his probation officer searches our home.

He told me where to look (jacket pockets, way under his dresser, hidden in back of closet).  I asked if I would find any actual drugs, he said "you might".

Here's what I found.  I was surprised.  I honestly thought he was using once in a while, I didn't know it was EVERY DAY.  I didn't know he had a $50.00  a day habit.  How did I not know that?  I will never let this slide by me again, EVER.  I saw the signs, but I believed him when he said he was just tired and depressed because that is not unusual for him (duh!).  I know, I know....I was blinded by my own denial.



Here is the nice neat pile I made.  He's been injecting and smoking it.

7 comments:

Starrlight said...

Be happy he asked you to do this. I think that is a good sign.

ChaiLatte said...

While the photos make me ill, I agree, it's a very good thing that your son asked you to do this. I'm also sorry you had to do it! That must have been hard...

Mom of Opiate Addict said...

I agree, a good sign that he requested you to do this, just sorry you had to go through that.

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Starr, I am and I agree.

Chai, I know, I am second guessing putting the photos there, they make me ill too and I don't want anyone to be triggered by them if they are a recovery addict. But on the other hand, I saw foil for the first time and had no clue why he had foil in his room....so maybe it will open someone's eyes if they are not familiar with these ugly items.

Mom, yeah it was weird. My boyfriend helped me search and did a great job and was able to move the furniture and reach his long arms where I could not reach.

Erin said...

Thank you for sharing this journey, hon. As you know, I'm just entering into the teen years with both my kids, and I want to be as educated as possible.

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Anna, I know you won't see this comment since your in the big house - but I just wrote you a letter. I've heard how boring it gets in there.

Erin,

You are such a GREAT MOM and are on top of things. Of course being a good parent has nothing to do with a child becoming an addict or not, the blogs I read testify to that! BUT - most of us parents didn't have our eyes opened to all the facts when our kids started using. The one thing you need to know is: Its better to be suspicious and piss your kid off than to silently wonder what he's up to because even the least likely kids can fall into this pit.

Syd said...

I guess that I'm shocked by what kids do to themselves. I often ask why which is a sign that I still have a ways to go in my recovery too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...