September 1, 2009

K Is Worried about Relapse

commonly known as "footballs" or "bars" in drug slang

He called again today and we had a bit of an argument over the phone. I brought up what changes will be made when he gets home and he got mad that I was talking about unpleasant things - he said his aunt never does that to him when she talks to him in jail. I said....I'm your MOTHER and this stuff needs to be discussed.

We also talked about his fears. He said he wants to get back on Suboxone and stay on it. He said he never realized how hard it would be to quit heroin or he never would have started. He said he was nervous because he used just three days after getting out last time (a 22 day stay).

He said, "Mom, if you catch me using I want you to send me to rehab."

I said, sure, but I would have to kick him out first because the only rehab i can afford is the cheap one for homeless people. He agreed to be homeless because he doesn't want to live this life.

What scares me is that I see how easily this COULD become his life....in and out of jail, on and off drugs....for years. I don't want that for my son. And I don't want it for me either.

So, he's already nervous that he will use. I told him the no friends rule, the no doorknob rule, etc. He was pissed off.

He also told me the reason he started using drugs was because of his life-long paranoia and anxiety, and no, he's not playing me when he says that. From a very early age (5) he has suffered from depression and anxiety. I waited till he was 8 to take him to a psychiatrist because I refused to believe there could be something mentally wrong with him. He went on and off anti-depressants and it helped (I take them daily).

But he's always been very anxious and had lots of unwarranted fears. He said that the drugs helped him with that, except for weed and coke which made it worse. But he loved Xanax and opiates for the relief it gave him. (yeah, it knocks you out so your not even aware of life, can't feel anxious if your not even able to stay awake...)

So I don't know if he has something wrong that needs to be addressed. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years for different doctors trying to find help for him (counseling and meds). I will take him back to our WONDERFUL doctor, Dr. Yang, for advice and Suboxone. Dr. Yang specializes in addiction but is a general MD as well as having a background in counseling. K loves him and so do I.

Ok. I just had to get this out. Now, I need to go to bed.

5 comments:

Mom of Opiate Addict said...

I had a pretty similar conversation with my son while he was in jail. The conversations became better as time went by (he was there 4 months). Have a plan before he is released and stick to your guidelines. I wasn't so smart and now am trying to backtrack and reninstate some of the boundaries. It is harder once they see you back down. Stay strong and take care of you:)

Dad and Mom said...

I cannot see where if he started to use and you forced him into rehab that would work at all. Until he wants it he won't get it.

Mom of Opiate Addict said...

I agree with Mom and Dad, been there, done that, it didn't work. My son will have to do the steps to get into a rehab if he ever so chooses. Us wanting it for them hasn't worked yet and it just won't. Be good to yourself:)

Michael said...

Here in Canada, they put all the people together in cell blocks. gang members, thieves, murders, drug offenders, all together. As a Lay chaplain, I was supprissed to see this. I was assurred that offten mixing "light crimanals" with "hard offenders" was a positive thing.
Hang in there and stand your ground. The rules you set must be kept and consequences for breaking rules should be in place.

Lou said...

It is good that you are telling him these things now, so he won't be surprised. But be prepared to back up your words, because often jailhouse remorse does not last.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...