September 25, 2009

What I Want for My Birthday:


Ok, there are only a few hours left of my birthday and here I am making a "gift list" of what I want.  But you don't even have to move from where you are sitting to do this, I just want everyone to read today's post by Dad and Mom over at "An Addict in Our Son's Bedroom".  Its important stuff.

If you don't know someone who's been directly affected by drug addiction, you are very fortunate and becoming part of a minority.  Its spreading fast and wide and SOMETHING must be done.  We can take some action.

"It has come to be my belief that drug usage needs a more personal face. Parents, brothers, sisters, friends and everyone connected needs to stand up and demand more accountability from our governments for drug addiction. Politicians find it easy to pound their fist about drug addiction and it is easy to brag about how many addicts and dealers they have put in prison on their watch. Addiction is a disease. We need our leaders look for new answers, our current methodologies of dealing with addicts once they are in the system are only marginally effective. The power of every person touched by drug addiction is to big for our leaders to ignore. This affects us all.

I am asking everyone that reads this blog, when you are done here go to your U.S. Representatives website and e-mail them, ask what they are doing about drug addiction. For those from other countries, do the same with your government, if you are allowed to do this. I do see there are visitors to our blogs from some very repressed countries, do what is safe for you in your place. We all need to be heard more loudly and with a larger voice to get something done."
Read the entire blog post HERE.

Find your State Rep. HERE.

6 comments:

Madison said...

You are not alone. Fortunately, the path to congressmen and women is well worn. The Paul Wellstone and Pete Domenici Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 went a long way in preventing insurance discrimination against mental health issues. There are many people who continue to lobby Congress on behalf of treatment for addiction. Patrick Kennedy is a leading voice in Congress. The measure passed last year as part of a $700 billion financial bailout. I hope this new year in your life brings you many blessings and much peace.

Starrlight said...

Madison is right, there has been some improvement and I am hopeful we will see more in the future.

Mom of Opiate Addict said...

Will do...happy belated birthday. I know of a few mental health care providers in our area that are fighting for changes and they are fighting hard. I also hope to see some changes, Lord knows they are needed.

Mom of Opiate Addict said...

Guess I will have to get my pen out because my Rep. doesn't have an email address!! So, looks like I will do it "old school":)

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Thanks to each of you for your birthday wishes and willingness to take action. Its very frustrating sitting by and watching more and more of our youth being sucked into drug addiction. They are too immature to make wise choices all the time and ONE TIME with heroin can be all it takes for many people.

Cheri said...

Wow! What a great idea, Barbara!

Also, happy (belated) birthday! Mine was Sept. 24th, the big 5-0.

Hope you had a blessed birthday.

Cheri

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...