September 28, 2009

What Advice Would You Give?

I've learned a lot from other parents of addicts.  I've had a few friends with younger children ask me how they can prevent their children from getting involved in drugs.

I'd like to hear from other parents:

1)  what do you wish you would have known sooner?
2)  what would you have done different?
3)  anything else you want to add

I guess my main piece of advise would be that this happens in all types of families.  Loving your child and being the best parent you know how to be is not a guarantee that things won't go wrong.  Be alert, be aware and be IN CHARGE.  I made the mistake of thinking my son would never try serious drugs, and then when I found out he did I went into denial instead of taking serious, tough love, action.

UPDATEMom of Opiate Addict left me a comment reminding me that Dad and Mom recently posed this question on their blog and got a great response, so please check it out here.

2 comments:

Madison said...

Honestly, what I'd do if I had it to do again is pray more. Stuff is coming at our children from every side.

Tall Kay said...

When I was growing up, it was too easy to lie. I was never afraid of consequences because I knew I could lie my way out.

My kids had to tell the truth above anything else. I checked on everything they said they were doing, talked to the other parents every time, and they came to expect me to check out their stories. All us moms had a pact to communicate, and as much as our kids hated it, they knew they couldn't get away with much behind our backs.

Their school district had a zero tolerance policy too...one bust and you were kicked out of school...that scared most of them pretty good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...