August 31, 2010

EMDR Is Working

Keven seems to be doing much better the last couple of weeks. I can tell that his therapist is helping him a lot. She's doing some intense work with him which includes "EMDR" and I can tell he's less anxious and moody and he's shown interest in working out again (that used to be his obsession and he totally let it go this summer).

I don't press for info but he will tell me bits and pieces of what they talk about. I feel confident saying that my son is NOT mentally ill. No more than I am, or most people are. Yes, he's damaged, he has issues that plague him, but I don't think he's mentally ill.

I believe his drug use is directly related to a lot of the stuff he's had pushed down inside him for years. Unfortunately with heroin, the drug takes over and the old problems become minor compared to what the addiction does to your life.

I have hope for Keven. I have a good feeling about the direction he's heading right now. Of course I could be wrong (have been many times before) but for today I am going to enjoy feeling this way and keep my attitude positive.

In the midst of it all, I know many parents are struggling, worried, confused, hurting...I was there for a long time. I still go there when things get dark. But there can be, and hopefully will be, light at the end of the tunnel. Never give up hope.

What is EMDR? Someone asked so here is what I copied from Kev's therapist's site:

EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) for Trauma

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, or EMDR, is a powerful new psychotherapy technique which has been very successful in helping people who suffer from trauma, anxiety, panic, disturbing memories, post traumatic stress and many other emotional problems. Until recently, these conditions were difficult and time-consuming to treat. EMDR is considered a breakthrough therapy because of its simplicity and the fact that it can bring quick and lasting relief for most types of emotional distress.
EMDR is the most effective and rapid method for healing PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) as shown by extensive scientific research studies.
The EMDR therapy uses bilateral stimulation, right/left eye movement, or tactile stimulation, which repeatly activates the opposite sides of the brain, releasing emotional experiences that are "trapped" in the nervous system. This assists the neurophysiological system, the basis of the mind/body connection, to free itself of blockages and reconnect itself.
As troubling images and feelings are processed by the brain via the eye-movement patterns of EMDR, resolution of the issues and a more peaceful state are achieved.

Many of my clients are Child Sexual Abuse surviviors who struggle in their current relationships as a result of the sexual abuse experienced earlier in life. I also treat many of the underlying issues that are seen in addictions as the individual attempts to block traumatic memories. Any types of abuse and trauma are candidates for this type of therapy.


Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

9 comments:

Bristolvol said...

I am so happy to hear the good news. I have been thinking about you and your precious son. I am hopeful for both of you.

Syd said...

It sounds good Barbara. I agree that having hope is such a motivation to keep going and keep loving.

~~BRB Queen~~ said...

Sounds like life is changing. Keep the faith.

Heather's Mom said...

That's great that the EDMR is working! I don't understand HOW it works - but I am so glad it is - and I think you're right in not pressing him for info, but accepting it as he gives it. If they're hitting on some tough times in his life, I'd be wary to push for info on my own outside the therapist's office. This is really great news - continue enjoying the feeling :) and the positive attitude.
Love & (((hugs)))

Anna said...

Barbara,

I am so glad to hear that both you and Kevin are catching a break. Enjoy it.

A Mom's Serious Blunder said...

This absolutely made my day! Can you explain exactly what emdr?

beachteacher said...

omg...that's great ! My son's former therapist suggested EMDR, but he hadn't yet started it when he had to switch to another therapist. I'm glad you reminded me about it. I'm just so happy to hear this about Keven,...and yes...hope is SO important ! Thanks.
Lori

Barbara said...

Thanks everyone! I have seen him smiling more than ever lately. Its just amazing.

Kristin said...

I am so happy for you Barbara.
And, I am pleased that you guys gave the EMDR a chance! It sounds like it is making a difference.
Enjoy your long weekend.
xx kris

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...