November 1, 2011

Goodbye Opportunity Court

This morning Keven will appear before his judge for the last time.  She will terminate him from Opportunity Court and sentence him for his original felony offense (possession).  He's already served more than enough time to cover the offense, but its still up to her what she will do.  She can revoke his time served, or she can add time to it if she thinks more time in jail is needed.

We'll see.

I have mixed feelings.  Opportunity Court is for dually diagnosed addicts that need supervision and help getting clean and sober.  Its a great program for some people.  I've used to go all the time just to watch the proceedings (lots of laughter and fun in the courtroom when everyone had stayed clean for a week) and saw many more people graduate than fail.  But then there are the stragglers....Like Keven.  Obviously this program has not gotten him very far along.  He's still in Phase 2 after 2 years.  Most people graduate at 18 months (Phase 4).

I will miss the addicts I've come to know, a few that actually text me now and then I can keep in touch with.  Its sort of like a big family.  There are a few other mom's I'd like to keep in touch with too.  I will miss having Sheri, our attorney.  She's going to be off our case as soon as the sentence is read.  She was as much as a help to me as to Keven - telling m bluntly when I was enabling or being too easy on him, supporting me when I had to turn him away from home, etc.

So, I'll let you know what happens.  Either way Keven's plan is to go to Pat Moore after he gets out and take it one day at a time from there.


5 comments:

Syd said...

Wishing you both the best.

Annette said...

I'm glad he has a plan.

Lou said...

It is not much consolation, but everything Andrew experienced-- from drug courts, boot camps, jail, prison, countless rehabs--ALL of them were key building blocks to get to the final destination of being free of heroin.

Let the building blocks fall where they may now. Get out of the way. Kevin is internalizing these consequences. whether he (or you) realize it.

notmyboy said...

Barbara,
There is no finer mother than you. You have done all you can. The rest is up to Kevin. I wish him well on his journey of one day at a time. It isn't easy...for any of us who care.

Have Myelin? said...

I wish Kevin the very, very best.

And I wish you peace of mind, whatever happens.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...