July 5, 2011

Another Ant Update

Deep sigh.

Anthony went into Detox Sunday night.

He was kicked out within hours because he had a phone.

BUT....he took himself to UCI Medical Center and checked into their week long detox!  For him, this is a positive step...he didn't go out on a binge, he chose to continue on his quest to get better.

Of course the other side of the coin is - why did he have a phone if he knew it could get him kicked out?

There is really no point to trying to figure out anything an addict does or says.  You just sit back and watch, and pray, and hope for the best.

I swear I can see Keven going backwards in his responsibility and maturity since the girl is in the picture.  I am not blaming her, I like her, I'm just saying, it takes his focus OFF recovery and puts it on "romance".

Its 9 pm...time to turn on my porch light in memory of Caylee.

No justice for this sweet little girl.


Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY for Anthony! Good for you for sticking by him - he seems to have recovery in his sights.

OTOH, why didn't the detox center check his belongings? I thought they always searched belongings for contraband...

Lou said...

This kind of hit and miss treatment costs so much money. I'm not begrudging Anthony the money--God knows my son has used a lot of public resources.

It's just that if we approached it as a disease, and had coordinated care, people like Anthony might have a chance.

Bar L. said...

Dee, thanks for cheering him on :) As for why they didn't check - I have no idea. I got the impression when I was there that they didn't really want him there. I know that sounds strange, but I've been through the "check in" process with Keven several times at several places and it was always a positive experience. But this time with Ant, they never smiled, never said a kind word and I got the vibe they didn't want him there. I am not saying they sabotaged him by not finding the phone at first, but I left feeling like they didn't like him from the start :( The opposite feeling I got from whenever Keven went through this.

Lou, I couldn't agree more. I just don't understand why they call it a disease but treat it as a problem they rather not touch. How many addicts can afford treatment? How many parents have gone into debt and/or spent their entire savings on treatment without "results"? Its sad and wrong.

beachteacher said...

so glad to hear this about Ant...it's great that he took that next step.

And yes...I know what you mean about the girlfriend too. D always doesn't do as well working on recovery once that begins. He becomes all obsessive about some girl the way he did about using. I'm hoping that Keven will be more moderate about the girl than that.

Overall though...main thing...he's still there, and he's still working on his recovery and going forward. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...