July 23, 2011

The 27 Club


Today another musician became a member of "The 27 Club".  Many people think of this "club" as being only four very famous musicians, Jimi, Janis, Jim and Kurt.  But, there have been 9 deaths at this age and most relate to drugs, specifically heroin.

When I told Keven that Amy Winehouse died, his first question was "did she OD on heroin?"  I told him I didn't know yet, but its a strong possibility.  He said it very matter-of-factly.  I think most heroin addicts have friends or acquaintences who have died from an overdose.  I know Keven had one close friend and several acquaintances.

Its part of the lifestyle.
Its accepted as a risk.
Its like we know driving a car carries a risk - we could get in an accident and die.  But we don't stop driving, its part of life.
And for addicts, they don't stop using, its part of their life, a big part.

I know I'm just rambling here.  I always get very depressed when musicians die, especially under these circumstances.  I was not a big fan of Amy's, but I've always felt that she had a true talent and a unique style.  She just got started....but fell so fast and so hard, and now she's gone.

Now we get to hear all the media and talk shows asking why someone so talented and successful turned to drugs.  Sigh.  Some people will never get it.  There doesn't have to be a reason, you try it, you become addicted and its your life.

But it doesn't have to be - Recovery Happens.

All these musicians were 27 when they died:

  • Jimi Hendrix (accidental drug overdose that caused asphyxiation of vomit)
  • Jim Morrison (heart attack induced by drug abuse) used heroin & other drugs
  • Janis Joplin (heroin overdose)
  • Brian Jones, Rolling Stones, (drowned in pool while intoxicated)
  • Allen Wilson, Canned Heat (suicide, barbituate overdose)
  • Pete Hamm, Badfinger, (suicide)
  • Ron McKernan, Grateful Dead (liver disease from alcohol abuse)
  • Kurt Cobain, Nirvana, (suicide) used heroin & other drugs
  • Amy Winehouse, (yet to be determined....) used heroin & other drugs
I can't leave out sweet, special, Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon, ( he often joked that he would be the next member of the “27 Club”. He died of an accidental heroin/cocaine overdoe three weeks after his birthday. Shannon was 28.)
Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

6 comments:

Lou said...

I have read her parents were so distraught about all of it. They cared and they tried.

rest in peace, Amy

Bristolvol said...

It's tragic. Many, if not most, parents care. The inability to help can sometimes be paralysing. I know.

Anonymous said...

How sad. Often we think that the 'rich and famous' have it all. I keep thinking that even though Amy Winehouse was famous, she was first and foremost someone's daughter or at one time their 'little girl'. It just demonstrates that no one is immune to addiction and no amount of prestige or money can find a magic cure for addiction. There's no immunity. Very unsettling...and sad...but true.
Shelley in SK

Tori said...

It is tragic. A friend and I were just talking about the "27" club but there are many other's that were just a bit younger or a bit older.

I too am waiting for the media blast. Instead of bringing awareness it will bring on jokes. How everyone knew it was coming. It has already started.

It is amazing how addicts accept that death is part of the life they are leading.

Bar L. said...

Tori, I don't know if you are aware of my blog called "Gone But Not Forgotten" but its my tribute to many of the musicians we've last since the year 1969. I have them categorized by age, cause of death, etc. and have written a short bio and my personal thoughts on each one. You are right there are SO MANY YOUNG musicians that have left us :(

Here is the link:

http://laylasclassicrick2.blogspot.com/

I have not added Amy yet but will soon.

The critics and mean people are already putting her down and making jokes. I feel like asking them how they'd feel if their child was made fun of or people said "good riddance" about them at their death. Why the hell are some people so mean spirited????

Mrs F with 4 said...

Barbara, I read so ething that Russell Brand wrote about Amy Winehouse. I don't normally have much time for him, but I thought this both well-written and insightful. Here is the link: http://www.russellbrand.tv/2011/07/for-amy/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...