July 2, 2011

His First Day Pass



Tomorrow Keven gets his first all day pass to live "United".  In all the previous rehabs he's been on, a day pass meant that I would pick him up, he'd spend the day with family and friends down here, then I'd take him back.

Not this time.

This time he is taking the bus with his new girlfriend and they are going to the movies, etc. etc.

I was excited that for once he didn't have a girl in his life.  They say in the first year of recovery you should not get involved in a relationship and I think that's a wise suggestion.  ESPECIALLY if both people are addicts and like the same drug.

There's nothing I can do about it, so I accept it.  But it sure ramps up the worry a few notches.  With relationships come emotions and with emotions come upsets and with upsets comes urges to use that are stronger than the day to day urges already being felt.

This girl is older, so maybe that will make a difference.  I won't say how much older, I'm still trying to process that.  Older women seem to like him for some reason.  Sigh.


Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

6 comments:

A Mom's Serious Blunder said...

That's kind of funny older woman seem to like J too??? So far they have always been just a few years older but it was a big deal when he was a junior in high school dating a freshman in college. She was lovely by the way. He still keeps in touch with her.

BMelonsLemonade said...

I know they always say relationships in recovery are not good...and I agree for the most part. But, sometimes there is that couple that meets in treatment, and it does work out because they are able to support each other in recovery. William Cope Moyers, who wrote "Broken" met a woman in rehab and ended up marrying her.

An older woman in treatment may also be closer to the point of getting it right this time, as well...

Bristolvol said...

Enjoy your holiday weekend. Like BMelons said, look toward the positive. I'm like you though, after so many bad experiences one tends toward the negative. My ex took my daughter and fam to the beach in FL, all I'm thinking are pain clinics and narcotics being handed out to addicts like candy to two year olds, and, has he lost his mind? But then I see pics of all of them enjoying the ocean and the pool, and I wonder if I can ever come out of my suspicious, negative funk???

kc bob said...

The day pass must mean progress for Keven. I am happy for that. Hope you are enjoying the weekend.

Tori said...

It is so hard for us not to worry. I am glad he is still in there and staying and doing well. B simply will not go without a gf at all times. It is amazing to me how he will break up with one and literally have another enabler within hours and I mean hours. Maybe it isn't so bad for Keven right now to have someone else older and in recovery.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Hopefully the new woman can be a good influence.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...