February 14, 2011

Another Big Day in Court

Hmmm, it seems this phrase has passed through my lips several times, but this time, it really is "a critical day in court for Keven".

Judge L. will either decide to:

a) send  him back to monitored living at Cornerstone which would be our choice
b) send him back to extended care living at Cornerstone which would cost us more money
c) kick his ass out of the program and make him serve his prison term and be a lifelong felon
d) something else

I am pretty confident it will be A or B thanks to our amazing and much loved attorney.

I never thought I'd hire an attorney, but because I did he's had someone fighting for him, and trust me it makes a huge difference.  Its angers and saddens me that the majority of people (us included until recently) have to get by with a Public Defender that doesn't really even know them.  Our attorney has become a big part of Keven's life. She calls him, she takes his calls collect from jail, she sends him encouraging texts out of the blue just to see how he is.  She calls, texts and emails me often.  But the best thing is she chose to work ONLY with drug addicts, its become a passion for her.  She is highly respected in our court.  I'm not too worried about tomorrow.

Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

4 comments:

beachteacher said...

I certainly it is A or B,...and I know just what you mean. I've been saddened, while also grateful, ...for having a good attorney for our son has made all of the difference is what's happened for him. He is currently on the path of recovery and (so far), doesn't have a felony on his record. That is ALL because of our/his attorney. It certainly isn't fair, but it is the choice we made and has been a blessing for D. I hope that Keven gets the choice that is best for him. Please let us know.

beachteacher said...

I meant, I certainly hope it's A or B. Hang in there Barbara !

BMelonsLemonade said...

Having a good attorney is important, I think. It is a shame that so many people cannot afford them, and do not really get equal judgement. It seems to be against the principles our court system was founded on. And I think keeping the felony off his record is important. I know I have mentioned this before...but I am becoming more and more appreciative that I am not a felon now that I am looking for a career as I approach graduation. It did not seem as important as avoiding jail time when I was still in the court system. And I might have even taken the felony then if it could have spared me any more jail time. Now, though...I am much more thankful to not have a felony.

kc bob said...

Your attorney seems like a really great one! I am hoping that she gets a great result for Keven.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...