February 10, 2011

Two Kinds of Cops

I've had more contact with Law Enforcement in the last five years than in the rest of my life combined.  It seems to me that there are two types of police officers.

Type A is the macho tough guy/gal who becomes a cop so he/she can be in a position of authority, control and power.  Type B becomes a cop to serve and protect their community.

Both types have called me on the phone, come to my house, searched my house, arrested my son on many occasions.  One time, when I was still relatively new to all this, one cop actually yelled at me, and another cop, who witnessed it apologized for his partner and was very empathetic.

I'm writing about this because in the last two days I have been assited by two Type B cops.  One yesterday when my car broke down ON THE FREEWAY!  He pushed me to safety with his car and stayed with me till the tow truck got there (btw - $1,680 in repairs!).

Then today, after a week of me trying to obtain one of Keven's two bicycle keys from either CS or the jail, I finally had his keys released to me through the jail.  I drove to where his bike has been locked up (outside the probation office where he was taken into custody last Thurs.) only to find that someone had been trying to steal the bike and had crushed the lock, rendering it useless.

Earlier in the week I had tried to get one of the officers around there (there's also a Sheriff substation nearby) to cut the lock for me.  But the one I asked was a Type A.  Today I lucked out.  I asked a different cop and he was a Type B!  He didn't even check to make me prove I was the owner, I think he KNEW I was telling the truth.  He left me by the bike for a few minutes and came back with a huge bolt-cutter and two other cops (guys like to watch other guys cut locks, I guess?) and he used all his strength and cut the damn lock off so I was able to get the bike!

I told the three of them they were  my heroes and they thanked me and said they didn't hear that often enough.  I was tempted to explain my theory about the types of cops...but thought better of it :)

(I dated a Type A cop years ago but it didn't last long because he was way too controlling and intense).

Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

3 comments:

beachteacher said...

wow...I also have had so much involvement with police over the past 4 or 5 years...many with cop A...and it totally changed my feelings about cops in general...in a very negative way. Then...of all things, a cop moved in next to us ! All I could think of was the cop As that I've seen,..that came to our house and lied, even wrote a totally false statement of something that hadn't happened etc.. Well...he actually seems to be the other kind,..and I've slowly got to know him and his wife. I have met the other kind too....and have been grateful for them. I totally know exactly what you mean on this.
Glad you were able to get the bike back !...but sorry about your car...ugh.

Annette said...

You are so right Barbara. I thought it was a small town thing...but I guess not.

Anonymous said...

your son will overcome this disease
god bless you Barbara
you seem like such an amazing person.
I pray everyday for Kev
god bless him.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...