February 26, 2011

Davy Knowles - My Favorite Rising Star

Just before my world took a huge hit (Keven's drug use) I had discovered a new band.  I first heard Davy and Backdoor Slam on an obscure radio station.  I was completely blown away and had to find out who they were.  I had planned to buy their CD immediately but just happened to get it in the mail a few days later.  (This was back when my music blog was a big deal and music promoters would send me tons of music to review.  I still get them, but no longer review or promote.  Anyone out there want a bunch of CDs from new bands?)

After listening to the CD, "Roll Away" by "Davy Knowles and Back Door Slam", I emailed Davy's publicist to thank her. She told me some background on "the boys".  I was shocked to learn that Davy was from the small island called "Isle of Man" and was only 21 years old! He didn't sound that young and his talent rivals my hero, Stevie Ray Vaughan (seriously).  How could someone so young write these songs and play this music?  I was an instant fan.

I started promoting Davy to all my music friends.  I was interviewed on a radio station and asked to share three songs the listeners may not be familiar with.  I chose an obscure U2 song, a song by a band I liked at the time and "Come Home" by Davy & BDS.  The radio hosts are guys that make a career (literally, they are record producers) out of finding good new bands and they had never heard of these guys.  They were impressed.  (I have to admit I kind of liked the feeling I got when they thanked me because I was usually at the receiving end of new bands, I had never before "discovered" a group on my own!)  

I have a great affection for Davy, he is such a nice young man.  I had the privilege (thrill!) of being introduced to him a year later after watching him in concert. He is a doll!  I also got to meet his manager and said to him "please, whatever you do, don't let fame get to his head and ruin him".  (I felt this way about John Mayer when he first came out but he didn't stay humble for long...quite the opposite.)

So far so good, Davy is a funny, lovable kid off stage (Twitter) and a serious rock and blues guitarist/vocalist onstage.  He is very appreciative of his fame and seems surprised every time he gets invited to do a tour or play a big gig somewhere.  I think he'll be headed to Japan soon.

So anyhow, I'm sitting here listening to "my boy" and wishing he would come to California one of these days.  I missed him last time he was here because of circumstances but next time - I'm going.  (Lisa and Joy - go with me!!!!!)

I stuck a widget on my sidebar but it only has two songs.  If you like Rockin' Blues guitar, check Davy out.  You will thank me ;)

Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

4 comments:

Her Big Sad said...

I'm in! Let me know when it's time to buy tix!

Lisa said...

I'm definitely in! Bryan likes nothing but alternative (small, unknown) music - all genres. I'm more of a pop girl (except the occasional Eminem song that I find fantastic), but I really want to explore new things. Let me know when you are ready to go!

BMelonsLemonade said...

I love it. He does sound like Stevie Ray...and being from the South, I love that Southern slide sound.

Mike said...

saw him twice, opening for Gov't Mule. I seem to recall talking to you about Back Door Slam prior to your story.

That was awile ago... :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...