February 16, 2011

Talking to Kids About Drugs



If you haven't read Ron's blog today, stop on over to "An Addict in Our Son's Bedroom" and add  your comment.  He asks two important questions and asks for other parents to share.


Unfortunately, my experience with this topic (see comment to Ron below) has not been good.  I appreciate organizations that work on ways to prevent kids/teens from trying drugs.  I believe they are sincere and are doing the best they know how, but a lot of what I've seen (see this post for what I mean) is just not cutting it for the reality of today's youth.

What is the answer?  I think they need to ask some real parents (like Ron, like us) who have been in the trenches and understand this issue from the inside out for our opinions.  I think they should also ABSOLUTELY use recovered addicts of the current generation (most of our kids ages) to share what, if anything would have stopped them.

In Keven's case his answer was "Nothing.  Nothing anyone said or did would have stopped me from trying".

There is one thing that I'd like to see addressed and used in a positive way.  TEACH KIDS THAT THEY MAY HAVE A DISEASE.  Would Keven had tried if he knew he'd become addicted so easily?  No one explained to him that addiction chooses you, you don't choose it, and that SOME PEOPLE ARE PRE-DISPOSED TO THIS DISEASE.  It took me forever to accept addiction was a disease.  I thought that was a cop out, BS excuse used to justify it.  But after a few years, lots of lectures and one very awesome video presentation, I was a believer.

Here's my comment:


Ron, great questions.  It would be wonderful if talking to kids made a difference, and for some I'm sure it does.  For mine, it didn't.
 Here are my thoughts based on what I did with Kev:
 When he was in 4th grade (age 9/10) they had a drug awareness program.  Up to that point he had never mentioned drugs so I had not brought it up, knowing that all the kids learned about them in 4th.  The police came in with display cases of what all the drugs, etc. looked like and gave them all a talk about the dangerous of using and how to say no.
 Keven came home from the demonstration at school fascinated with all the drugs and paraphernalia he got to see and learn about.  He had every drug name memorized and proceeded to tell me how to use each one.  I was SHOCKED, it was my first indication that he saw drugs as something "cool", so I began at that time to have very frank discussions with him about my past experience of what drugs do to ruin, or end, a life.  I told him of friends I'd had in high school, I told him of statistics, I tried to relate it to him personally saying that he would not be able to pursue his sport if he used drugs, how it would affect his life, etc. etc.
 That was my strategy and it failed miserably.  He tried weed and alcohol at 15 and by the time he was 17 he had tried every illicit drug known to mankind and was addicted to heroin.  I don't know what I could have done differently.
 I'm looking forward to reading what others have to say.



Peace, Hope and Love, Barbara

7 comments:

Max said...

I have years before I have to worry about this. (My oldest is 7) But already I worry. What do I say? How can I prevent? I guess I'm lucky in that my husband has tried it all (and never actually developed a problem. Don't ask how.) and can come at my kids with a been there, done that stance. It might help. It might not. I, personally, have only tried one drug. Marijuana. I am far from having a habit of it though from time to time when my arthritis is acting up and nothing else will relieve it, smoking some does help. So maybe once a year? I'm not saying that's a good thing. I mean, it is illegal and all. Not even medicinally legal where I live. Yet. But of all the drugs out there...

I'm rambling.

I guess what I started out trying to say is this: Thank you for opening my eyes to the fact that while my kids are only 7 and 3, I need to start thinking about this shit NOW so that I'm ready when they are ready. Not that anyone can ever fully be ready.

Anna said...

Good post Barbara.

My kids said they were adamently opposed to drugs. Beth broke off a very close friendship because the girl was dating a boy doing drugs. Beth read her essay the best dare essay for the entire school.

I talked to them a little about drugs. I told them that we never know who will be an alcoholic. You might have the genes and you might not. Do not assume that you can drink. It never really occured to me that one of my kids might do hard drugs. I thought only desparately abused , stupid people or rock stars did dope.

I worked in public schools and still thought this way!

Bar L. said...

Karen, your husband is like me, he doesn't have the disease of addiction. Some people can fool around with drugs and walk away when they're ready. I tried every drug out there in my day (except heroin) and never got hooked on any.

Please don't worry too much about your precious little ones. Enjoy these years but keep it in the back of you mind when they are a bit older.

Anna,
I know....crazy huh!?! I think in our day the average teenager from a nice family DIDN'T try heroin. Like I said above, its the one drug that was off limits in my mind because it was for the "hardcore druggies". I did LSD, PCP, coke, hash, weed, pills, etc. but never got hooked.
Its sad that Beth tried it, but there really was nothing you (or I or all most of the parents) could do.

Michael said...

Addiction is cunning, baffling and powerful. It tells us that there is no problem while it slowly kills and robs an destroys us.Innocently the addicted person goes to the slaughter house, their life now controled by a substance, activity, habit and hangup. It is just way to eay to happen to any off us. Some off us are lucky to escape with our lives, they might be messed up but there is life and hope that their wisdom might be passed to an individual try to escape the cycle that leads to destruction.

beachteacher said...

Sadly, I don't know what I could have done differently,...for I did talk to my kids about drugs and alcohol and stressed to them that they WERE predisposed to being an alcoholic or possibly a drug addict, so they needed to be very aware of that. Their dad's family has a lot of alcoholism on his father's side, and I know how genetic it is. 2 of my 3 aren't alcoholic/addicts, but 1 is. He also first became very interested in drugs because of DARE!..in 5th grade. :( He first tried smoking pot in 6th grade...ugh. Ironically, he had always very much been the "rule follower" of our 3 kids, in a big way! Well...then he eventually became the "rule breaker"...again,in a big way! There's not a medium speed setting for him...as I suspect is the case for a lot of addicts, even if it's not just with a substance. Like Barbara, I did a lot of drugs when I was younger...everything she said, except for PCP(never saw that around,but heard of it) and pills, but am not addictive with substances...it's just not me. (I'm thankful for that). And in those days(the '70s,..way back when)..heroin was for someone in the ghetto/homeless person in the inner city, not at all like now.
I don't know what we could have done differently as parents...we taught them morals, loved them, had a very stable and loving home, etc., and monitored everything, just as so many of you did. I think there's some type of perfect storm, with that biological predisposition...and kids don't necessarily follow what we warn them not to do. :(

Sarah said...

I too have had "experience" in this realm of addiction. I have two daughters (from different marriages of course) 14 years apart. The first I gave custody of to her father thank God so I could immerse myself in my addiction. I did not see it that way at the time though. I got sober and clean by 1989, married a recover sober addict like myself in 1990 and had my second child 1993. I have had a long period of recovery save to minor slips. My youngest has never been around me and my active addictions. Her father left when she was 3 to pursue his addiction and passed in 2008 at 42 . She watched this has attended meetings with me ... did it help? Not on your life. If you are predisposed you will meet your addiction one day but hopefully will have a soft place land when the choice is a choice. Prayers for all of us parents...

Bar L. said...

Tiko, thank you so much for sharing your story here. Its the perfect illustration that it is something we are predisposed to and is often hereditary. I mentioned in the other comment you left me that I will pray for you and your daughter, I keep a list and look at it every day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...