October 9, 2009

Best Phone Call Ever


I wasn't going to share this because it falls under the category of "Hopeful" and I've learned that getting my hopes up about how well K seems to be doing often (always?) ends in disappointment.

But, it was such a great conversation!  I listened to a bright young man speaking about his plans for the future, thanking me for all the love, support, time and energy I've given lately, and best of all, the things he's learning about himself.

I can tell he's going to NA meetings because he seems to be grasping a lot of the concepts of that program.  He used to say NA was stupid and just made him want to use.

He sounded so clear, so sure of himself.  It was the voice of confidence and determination but with a lot of realistic observations thrown in.  He said he knows people usually "switch addictions" in recovery and his new addiction is going to BE recovery.  He said he's dedicating the next year of his life to this program (Recovery Court and all it includes) and is going to take advantage of everything it offers.  He knows sobriety is a lifelong pursuit.

He talked about the classes he wants to take, some ideas he has for a project he wants to do with ME, and of how he needs to make all new friends.

He had high praises for the Judge and how he could tell she genuinely cares about him and the others in the program.  He noticed that some of the participants that spoke yesterday were genuinely excited about their lives and he wanted the same for himself.

He told me that one thing I said in a letter really got to him.  It had to do with how I missed out on knowing his 18 year old self because he was either high or incarcerated.  He realized that half of his 18th year of life has been spent in jail or rehab (by the time he is done).  He said the other half was spent high or trying to figure out a way to get high.  He said a year is a small price to pay considering he has his whole life to live.

I had to wonder....is this just talk?  Does he want something?  Is he playing me again?  Will he keep this attitude and commitment to recovery, or will it fade? 

Then I realized something - this is the first time in years he's had a clear head.  He's got 40 days clean and sober.  That's a record.  He stopped using heroin for 30 days once but was still smoking weed and drinking and doing who knows what else.

We laughed, we talked, we CONNECTED.  It was awesome.  I had a glimpse of what it would be like to have my son back, as a young adult, as a functioning human being.  And I loved it.

I am very proud of my son.  Not for all of the above, but just because of who he is as a person.  I always have been.  Even when he's led into the courtroom shackled and handcuffed in the attractive orange jumpsuit - I smile and hope everyone there knows that he's my kid.  

Of course I am ashamed of many of the things he's done, disappointed in his decisions, disgusted by his behaviors...but I am still proud of him.  Weird, huh?

...and a true miracle - he didn't ask for a dang thing the whole call.  That's a first!

8 comments:

Madison said...

A moment to hold in your heart forever.

Sherry said...

I believe in Miracles!

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Nothing wrong with a little hope. :-)

Thank you for sharing this.

Starrlight said...

Ok I just did a little jump up and down cause that sounds REAL to me! **HUGS**

LisaC said...

Don't ever give up hope...it is what keeps us going and it is the prize when we have been struggling with an ugly or difficult situation. You can have hope and still be realistic about this long road ahead for him. Being realistic is what will keep you sane if he relapses. And remember that if he does relapse, every day clean, every day that he works his program, and every day that he Thanks God for his life and his family and your support, will help him to pick himself up and keep going. I'm so glad you saw a glimpse of the son you raised. It's awesome!

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Thanks to ALL OF YOU for these positive comments. I wish I could feel 100% sure about his sincerity, it SEEMED so real. But in the back of my mind I know one thing:

HE IS AN ADDICT, ADDICTS LIE, MANIPULATE AND SCHEME TO GET WHAT THEY WANT OR NEED.

I hate that, but its a fact. So I have HOPE, will never lose it, but I also have learned the hard way to be guarded in all my dealings with him.

But I am happy and smiling :)

Paul said...

Never stop hoping. Hope is what keeps us going. Where we place our hope determines how strong it is. Remember that there is another Father besides Thom that loves Keven more than any of us can imagine. Even though Keven doesn't know it or acknowledge it and we often don't as well, He's right there with him, loving him, protecting him, pushing and prodding him, shaping him into a man that you can be proud of. That is my prayer for Keven and you.

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Paul, thank you fro stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate it and your words are a comfort.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...