October 20, 2009

Jail Transfer

K called this morning with some good news - yesterday they transferred him out of OCJ and into TL jail  I think its a much better place for him.  He is in minimum security in a large barrack with lots of other people and work duties.  I have a feeling he will be moved to PH soon.

He sounded very anxious on the phone, but that's K.

I am a bit ticked off that they would not let him keep the majority of the books I sent him.  Books are one thing I invest my money in because a) they last forever and b) reading, to me, is the gateway to learning so much about life, the world, etc.   Apparently you are only allowed 5 books but we never knew this till they made him take five and they took the rest and TOSSED them.

They also tossed all his stuff that he had bought, toothpaste, pillow, soap, etc.  So he's back to having nothing (except five books that he already read - he kept the most expensive ones).

I know this is not that big of a deal but I wanted to read those books and feel its money down the drain.

Oh groovy - I was just looking for pic of  "TL" to post here and found an article about how an inmate was beat to death in the day room....in the minimum security area!  Oh well.  I am not going to think about it.

9 comments:

Mom of Opiate Addict said...

We as parents will always find something to worry about with our addicted kids. When they are not in jail, we are worried about them overdosing or getting into trouble. When they are in jail, we worry about their physical and mental safety. I had to tell myself over and over, I am not in jail, I don't know what it is like, I can't do anything to make it better, so I just stopped thinking about it. I hope you can give yourself some peace and not worry about things you can't control. It is hard to trust, but we must for our own good. God bless you and Keven.

Syd said...

I hate that books were tossed. I wish the best for Keven. And for you of course.

LisaC said...

The good news is the transfer. I believe that the tossed books will end up in the hands of someone less fortunate that will read one and feel better. I believe that is how God works.

The one thing I have not yet had to face is jail time for my son. It is truly a miracle that he hasmanaged to avoid the legal system. I don't have any personal experience except to remember the Serenity Prayer, and take care of yourself. And with God's help, Keven will take care of himself until the next opportunity (transfer) presents itself. Hang in there.

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Mom, thanks. I am actually glad he's in jail. Its so much easier for me than worrying about him OD'ing or getting busted. He IS busted and safe and fed and sheltered. I am more worried about what it will be like when it comes home. Sure, it bothers me to think of him in there, so I try not to like you said.

Syd, I know! I love books. I sure hope they weren't tossed.

Lisa, thanks. I love the Serenity Prayer and use it all the time. I love the idea of the books going to someone less fortunate. I hope that's the case :) Sometimes I worry about the silliest things.

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Lou, thanks I needed that! Sometimes I really do sweat the small stuff and its such a waste of energy and emotion. I will remember what you said. :)

Madison said...

I hope somehow he gets treatment that changes his life.

Tall Kay said...

I've known quite a few people from meetings that have gone to Lacy to do weekends. It's still jail, and probably not much different from OCJ. I've heard the wait to visit at Lacy is 2 to 3 hours. After being sick, I finally mailed the letter yesterday. Oh well...

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Kay, he will still get the letter! They transfer his mail :) It means a lot that you wrote him.

OH MY GOSH! You're right about the wait I just remember a friend telling me about a year ago how long the wait was and sometimes they would wait almost all day and be turned away!!! Crap. I can't stand still that long because my leg goes numb and I either have major back spasms or fall over. I don't know how the hell I am suppose to wait in line for that long.

I also heard they treat the visitors like they are criminals but I am used to that from OCJ. There are a few nice cops there but most seem to enjoy being nasty to the families and friends of prisoners.

I am glad you are feeling better...I hope you have a FULL recovery soon!

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Madison,

Thank you so much. ME TOO!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...