October 23, 2009

What a Nice Jail!



photo of the Jail taken from OC Register


That statement seems a bit oxymoronic, but it was very nice compared to OCJ.  Visiting there was a pleasant experience, worth the extra drive.

The differences:

1)  It was CLEAN!  Even the bathrooms were clean.  Nothing smelled bad and I didn't feel like there were germs on every surface I came in contact with.

2) The guards/cops/employees were friendly, helpful and one even had a great sense of humor.  Didn't come in contact with anyone rude or snotty which is the norm at OCJ.

3) The visiting area was roomier and more private, each visiting booth really was like a booth not just one long row of metal stools.  OCJ you sit crammed in a small aisle with up to 40 other people.  The stools are so close together that you usually get accidentally elbowed or kicked by the person next to you as they get on or off  their stool.  Its very, very loud and stuffy.

4) As for the inmates - they actually get to walk outside in the SUNSHINE every time they go from one building to another,  There were plants and grass vs. only gray concrete!  The room K's in is big and spacious and has a WINDOW.  He now has the option of watching TV.  If  a deck of cards is worn to the point of being unable to shuffle - they give you a new deck.  They don't make you eat breakfast at 4:30 am (the food is still bad but they let you sleep till 6:00).

These are things we may take for granted, but for someone whose literally been behind bars  for over 60 days in a cramped cell,  rarely experiencing fresh air and warm sun, with two murders, a rapist and two gangbangers as cellmates,  this is a very welcome change.

As for K himself, he didn't smile at all today.  He said he was just tired but I sensed his anxiousness and also felt like something was bothering him.  He is already starting to worry that he will have another panic attack and pass out on his next court date.  This bothers me - what if he hit his head on the concrete floor?  He needs to be assessed by a doctor and have his meds checked, its not normal to pass out from panic.  The closer it gets to his transfer to PH, the longer the days are for him.  I am praying its in the next week or two.

In other news - got a letter from Ant today.  He is the "designated CD player" in his cell block.  They aren't allowed to have music so he sings to everyone and it cheers people up.  That's my boy - spreading joy wherever he goes  :)
P.S.  even though its a "nice" jail, its not as nice as FREEDOM and even though its safe, there was an inmate killed there (beaten to death) in July.  

11 comments:

Tall Kay said...

I am so happy to hear it was a good experience for you! Anything has to be better than OCJ. And a CD player in Chino...now that's funny! I'm really glad you went to visit Keven...it must mean so much for him to see you. Not much longer now...Amen!

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

:) Thanks, Kay!

Debby of Oxycontin and Opiate Addiction: A Mother's Story said...

What a relief for you! So glad you go to see Keven. Sometimes, I catch myself asking "what if"...and then I am reminded that I tend to horribilize things I have no control over. Trust, Barbara. What if will make us crazy with fear? It's our protective mother instincts, but it will drive us crazy.
Praying for you, as you know-- you read my blog today.
Blessings,
Debby

justLacey said...

Panic may not be normal, but it is very common to pass out from anxiety. It's caused by the hyperventilation.
I am glad Keven is in a nicer place. I think his anxiety will pass when he gets used to his surroundings.

Madison said...

I hope all these things change his heart. Reading your description, I can tell you that he is in a better place than some county treatment facilities I have seen. Now, those are scary, unsecured, depressing places. I have a feeling God's watching over your sons.

Michael said...

Fresh air and sunshine go a long way when it comes to improving a person's mood. Praying for you.

Midnitefyrfly said...

Hopefully since he has something worse to compare it to, he can appreciate it more. I am glad it is a more pleasant experience for you. I don't understand why at some jails feel they need to carry over their harsh temperaments to the visitors.

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Debby,
thanks for your prayers, I am so glad we all have each other to walk though this together!

Lacey,
He's had anxiety and panic attacks for years (not just in jail) but has never passed out from one. I've only had one in my life - have you? You feel like you're going to die its weird.

Madison,
Wow, that is very scary. I think he's very fortunate and believe it or not I think he knows it too. :)

Michael,
I agree. He's so PALE. The sun provides Vitamin D which helps with depression. I think I'll go take a walk...

Lou,
Yes, I was shocked at the striking difference. I had just gotten used to being treated like crap at OCJ so this was a pleasant surprise.

Midnight,
I think he is aware of how lucky he is for the transfer. Lets hope so.

ChaiLatte said...

I'm so glad your visit was a pleasant experience, Barbara! You and Keven are always in my prayers. I hope you are feeling peace today.
Big Hugs, C

justLacey said...

Yes I have had many when I was younger. The dr told me the hyperventilating bringing too much oxygen to the brain will cause you to faint. Breathe in a paper bag.

Valorosa said...

I'm wondering has anyone ever written to government officials re: the treatment of visitors in the jail your son was previously in.
The governor of your state may be interested? Any others who may be influential in the way the jail is run.
Family members are so emotionally beaten up already it is hard for them to be active in changing something like this.
Human rights activists would like to know about these things.
??
Hugs and prayers your way

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...