October 11, 2009

Today's Jail Visit


I was going to skip my visit to K today for the first time in 8 weeks.  I just didn't have anything to say and was not really in the mood.  But my mom wanted to see him (she's only seen him once) so I drove her up there.

He was very down today.  He put effort into smiling and being cheerful for Grandma, but she knows him too well.  It was hard to see him like that.  I wanted to take him in my arms, hold him and them make him take a shower and shave.  But, instead we had the usual small talk on the phones through a thick fiberglass window.  Yuk, and I forgot my disinfectant for the phone and no one near me had any today. 

Its weird being an "old timer" there.  People must be able to tell because almost every time I go a new person approaches me with questions about what to do or what its like, etc.  Had a nice woman sit next to me today who was full of questions, not long ago I would not have had any answers for her but now I "know the ropes".  Not something to be proud of.

One thing K told me today is what the judge did after I left the courtroom.  She told him that the reason she was keeping him in to wait for PH is because two weeks ago she let a girl out of custody to wait for an opening, within hours of being released she OD'd on heroin and died.  Knowing Judge L, this must have been heart breaking for her.  I am glad she kept K in there.

9 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I am glad she kept Keven in there too.

Madison said...

I'd be devastated if my child was comfortable behind bars. Seeing depression would be a good sign to me. Just a thought.

Michael said...

From experience, I know that when a Judge shares thigs with you, they sink in deep. Agree with Madison.

Tall Kay said...

I have been to visit OC jail many times and can picture exactly what you describe. Your visits are a highlight and something to look forward to. Don't ever stop...he needs to see you. I'm with Madison...if he was happy, I'd be concerned. If you email me his prisoner number, I'll write to him too and maybe get a sober guy from H&I to write. They love mail!

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Madison, Michael and Kay, THANKS for reminding me that he's at OCJ not the Ritz in Laguna Beach :) Its just that usually he has this little glimmer of joy in his eyes when we visit....and it was not there. Usually he at least smiles once or twice. But dang, the mom in me forgot that YES he should be depressed. He still has a long way to go in realizing that "Keven does not always get what Keven wants".

Mike, me too. Thanks for keeping up here, it means a lot. My other blogs are sort of on the back burner these days.

Sharon G said...

Wow, Barb. I have been self absorbed in my own life and have not had a chance to check here very often. Reading your posts made my heart ache for you and Keven. I am glad to hear about this judge, it brings some hope for humanity.

Saying "I'll pray for you" may sound so small, but that's all I got, lucky for us He is mighty!

Syd said...

I'm glad that Keven is where he needs to be for now. That judge knows her stuff.

sarah said...

some hope. - recovery is possible. Having shot dope for 14 years, three and four times a day - I never thought I would be free. I am. Totally. No dope. No needle. No jail or psych wards. God freed me. Broke the chains. He'll do that for your son. Praying for you and him. Sarah

banditlove said...

I remember the first time I went to see my dad in county...

I was 17 and it was horrible. Prior to my dad entering jail I didnt have the best relationship with him.

I sat in front of the glass staring and waiting for him to come out. Dressed in orange, they herded him out like cattle, he sat down in front of me and forced a smile.

I bawled the entire time...

Seeing a loved one like that is a horrible feeling.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...