February 19, 2010

Climbing Toward "Normal"

As I observe my son getting back into life outside of jail and rehab, I see him trying to find his bearings.  I think he's nervous but in a good way.  He's been very open with me, telling me what's going on in his mind, things he's discovering that are triggers, how important it is for him to keep busy.


I never thought much about this before, but the last couple of years has been very demoralizing for him, as a direct result of his own choices. 


No one trusted him, his friends started avoiding him, he lied, he stole, he was dirty and scary and unpleasant.  He was incarcerated three times.  He spent a total of four months in jail.  He had to register as a drug offender, give up his DNA, walk around in shackles and handcuffs.  He lost his freedom, his license and his self respect.


Now he's home.  He's wearing his own clothes.  He has freedom to do pretty much as he pleases within probation guidelines.  He can eat what he wants, sleep in a comfy bed in a quiet room, make calls, go online, hang with friends. 


Yet, it will take time for him to feel "normal" again.  Having a job will help.  Working out daily is also good.  Helping around the house.  Re-earning trust and respect.  Its not easy, but I think he's determined.  I see it in his eyes.


I've never been in his shoes so I don't know how it feels, but looking at him now I have a glimpse of how awful it must have felt while he was still using, living for the next fix, not caring about anyone but himself.  In the rare moments of not being high he must have felt very low, very ugly.  I wonder how long would it have taken for him to chose to start the climbing the path back to "normal"?


They say you have to be ready for recovery, but he was actually forced into it and has responded really well (so far).  I'm not sure the point of this post, just sharing today's thougths.




Peace, Hope and Love,
Barbara

7 comments:

Heather's Mom said...

It's good to have empathy, to imagine what it was like for him - with compassion. K is fortunate to have such a loving mother as you :)
(and so is A!)
Love & huggs :)

Michael said...

I think "wanting" recovery is very key to success. I am also sure that K wanted recovery deep inside. When one is addicted they are consumed with the addiction but often tired of being "sick" and just want it to end or for their life to end. Recovery does happen.

Elizabeth Ann said...

Wishing the very very very best. (hugs) and you too sweet lady. The best to you in all of this .. I hope he is one of the lucky ones.. he sounds great now.. (hugs to him)

Kathy M. said...

Your son is luck to have a caring, compassionate mother. Time and God will tell what's in store for him. Meanwhile, I'll keep you both in my prayers.

justLacey said...

I am always happy to hear when Keven is doing well. I don't think how he's feeling is surprising and I think a job would be a good thing to keep him on track. Hopefully he will find one in a place where there are not many temptations. School will be more of a challenge I think with so many young people that could be using or drinking. Hopefully Keven will see that that would be too much of a challenge for him at this point and just avoid it altogether. I am glad he is verbalizing his feelings, that is a really good sign.

Syd said...

Barbara, I am glad that Keven is doing well. I hope that this good life that he now has continues.

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...