February 17, 2010

Update on Today and News Story

So far so good.  Picked him up at 8 am.  When we got home at 9 his probation officer was here talking to my mom!  That was a surprise but we knew she'd be here sometime this week.  Keven likes her a lot, I like her too.  She reminded him of the rules, that he needs to see her twice a week and that he needs to attend 4 NA meetings per week.

Kev and I were together running errands most of the day.  He just left with a friend (female) so I get to practice not worrying, letting go, not being nervous.  I've known this girl for years, as far as I know, she doesn't use drugs or alcohol.  Still, it makes me nervous!  This is the first time he's got in a car with a friend in 6 months!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've added a link to my sidebar called "News Stories" where I am posting articles I run across or have sent to me that relate to heroin addiction.  Here is a quote from the one called "City Declares Heroin Epidemic":

“The problem with the younger heroin addicts is that they don’t understand how addictive it is and how fast you go downhill when you start using, Florek said. “They start using heroin for recreation and can be addicted in a week or two.

In 2009, Dane County reported 125 cases of heroin- or opiate-related overdoses and 18 confirmed deaths. Already in 2010 there have been 14 overdoses and 5 deaths, according to Sgt. Gordon Disch of the Dane County Sheriff’s Office. "
I hesitate to share grim statistics that seem so negative, but solutions starts with understanding the problem, so the first step has to be RECOGNITION that there IS a problem ALL ACROSS OUR COUNTRY.


Peace, Hope and Love,
Barbara

6 comments:

Anna said...

6 months is a good long time. I think it will give him a decent chance. God bless you both.

Heather's Mom said...

Glad to hear an update - been thinking about you all day! That's good news that you both like his PO. I can imagine your nervousness, like the first time you let go of your child's two-wheel bicycle... but I am optimistic about K, and about you - you're going to do great, you've been building a fantastic foundation.

I looked up Dane County - it's in Wisconsin - Wisconsin! I apologize to anyone living in Wisconsin for my naivety, but it always seemed so "nice", like this couldn't happen there. But you're right, even if my denial wishes you weren't, it's "a problem all across our country"...

God bless. Enjoy K :)

SilverNeurotic said...

It must have been great spending time with Keven. How did his night out go?

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I am praying all stays good and wonderful

Elizabeth Ann said...

hugs

Elizabeth Ann said...

hugs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...