November 9, 2009

82 Days Clean


K's been incarcerated for 82 days.  I like to look at it as "82 days clean and sober".  I wonder if he would have got this far if he weren't in jail.  I honestly doubt it.  The longest he'd gone before was 30 days.

The last time he was in jail (22 days) he used three days after getting out.

And the wonderful thing is...he goes straight into court ordered rehab.  That means if he messes up (tests dirty or violates probation in any way) he goes straight back to jail.

Never in a million years could you have convinced me that I would find such a sense of relief for my only child to be in jail, but I am grateful.  The way he was living, the alternative would have been the cemetery.

Of course that cycle could easily start again, but I am celebrating the positive until I have a reason not to.

9 comments:

Michael said...

Celebrate each day as it is a gift from God. Focus on the positve and stay focused there. It is so much easier to see all the negatives, but positive thinking is a step toward recovery. Keep up the great work.

Mom of Opiate Addict said...

I remember that feeling when Zach was in jail for four months and is now on probation. Never thought I would be grateful and happy about my boy being in jail either, but I truly was. Enjoy this peaceful time and take care of you;)

Tall Kay said...

82 Days clean and sober is wonderful...no matter where he is! I just realized last night that there are 5 H&I panels at Lacy each week. Has Keven ever mentioned the opportunity to attend any of these meetings?

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Michael, thank you that's what I am trying so hard to do. Some days are easy, others not so much.

Mom, Its something most parents will never relate to - which is a GOOD THING! I hope Zach is okay.

Kay, I am not sure if he has or not...when he was in OCJ he went to everything he possibly could to get out of his cell. But now I think he's enjoying "hanging out" and watching TV! Which is a total waste of his time if he could be attending those. Exactly what are they???

SilverNeurotic said...

That's great news, I hope that he continues to stay sober once he is out of the program.

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Thanks Silver. I hope too. But I won't be shocked it if doesn't happen.

Lou, that's my fear. I see most addicts relapsing again and again...I know Andrew will be out in less than 30 days and am hoping this is his turning point - that he never goes back to drugs/alcohol.

mother of drug addict said...

woohoo!!! Anytime clean and sober is GREAT!!! take this time to take care of you.!!!!

Midnitefyrfly said...

I agree with the last comment. Clean and sober and SAFE. Definitely take care of you pretty mama!!!

Syd said...

I think that projecting what will happen is a bad idea. I try to just live in the day and what is going on now. He is clean and sober and that is grand.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...