November 2, 2009

A Very Cool Parole Officer, Plus Ant Update

This morning I got a call from K.  It was very unpleasant, not unlike the unpleasant visit I had with him on Saturday morning.  He is angry, he is discouraged, he feels like he's been told "any day now" for weeks (well, that's true, he has been told that for weeks).  He said he rather stay in jail or go to prison and get out faster than going through PH.  It was an upsetting conversation.

So I decided to call his Parole Officer.  When Mr. O (the PO) first introduced himself to me he said up front "being the single mother of a young male addict is the hardest job on the planet, but I am here to partner with you and will take on the role that a father would play if I have to".  I didn't know PO's were so caring and concerned, but this one seems to want to help not only K, but me.

I got a hold of him and I told him about the conversation with K.  He said he'd spend some time with K on Wednesday afternoon after court (we will all be there) and that if they sent him back to Lacy before he got a chance to talk to him, he'd drive over there to see him.  He said he'd give him a serious talk to get him back on track and said it sounds like someone at Lacy is talking negatively about PH.

I felt better after our conversation.  I'm not going to make a habit of calling him but today I am glad I did.

~~~~~

Ant Update:  He called today!  He's finally out of Chino and back at OCJ.  He was so excited about it, which says a lot about how horrible Chino Prison is.  They have put him in an 8 hour a day drug program there at the jail and when that is done he will go to PH for a month.  Chances are that his time will overlap with K's but maybe this is a good thing...maybe it will be better for them to re-unite under supervision.

I told him I'd visit him this weekend.  I suppose I can visit both boys in one day, I really have nothing else to do with my Saturday.  It was great to hear his voice and hear his smile through the phone.  I really believe Ant has hit his bottom, but I am not so sure about K :(

7 comments:

Rygel said...

glad that the parole officer understands and is supportive

Michael said...

Glad to hear that the parole officer is so supportive. I have worked with a couple of different ones here, both where supportive but overworked.

Syd said...

Glad that you called the parole officer. Take care of yourself.

Dad and Mom said...

Glad you got a good one. I have tried working with 2 different PO's and one was very good and one was not interested at all.

Mom of Opiate Addict said...

Yes, in our area a good PO is like a diamond in the rough! Glad you had such a positive experience and hopefully it will be a great source of support for Keven.

Bond said...

His PO told you h wanted to partner with you to help Keven...then do so..do not feel off about calling him

justLacey said...

One more baby step. At least he is moving in the right direction.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...