November 4, 2009

Thankful and Hopeful !!!


Whew, today went the way we had hoped and prayed - thanks for the extra support over the last two days.

We got there and the judge was late.  I had a very strong feeling that she and K's PO, PD and HCW (health care worker) were in her chambers discussing his case.  I was right.  Tears came to my eyes when she told K that they had spent significant time talking about him this morning and they had all got ON THE PHONE together WITH PH and stressed to them that K was told he'd be in the program weeks ago.  So I guess her influence helped because she said he would be in by mid-November!!!

She didn't even really give K a chance to speak, she just told him this news and he SMILED and said THANK YOU.  Then she said "Is K's mother here today?" (of course I was).  She then spoke to me for a few minutes and I am sure it was partly for the benefit of everyone else in the room.  She talked about how what I am going through as a parent is the most difficult challenge one can face....and that I needed to seek help for myself through Al-Anon and N.A.M.I. and she was happy to know that I had hooked up with N.A.M.I. already and had started attending Al-Anon meetings.  She is an amazing person.  She treats every person in her courtroom with respect, but she's also very tough when she needs to be.

For example, every time I've been there so far (4 times) one person in the program gets sent straight to jail.  Today it was a woman who tested dirty at PH.  She had to get handcuffed and will spend a day or two behind bars.  They are good to people in this program - they don't let them get away with anything, as it should be.  The woman was begging, crying and swearing that she did not use, but the judge said she had to go by the test.  It was sad to see but good to see.

My sister went with me today and was blown away by the whole process, we are so fortunate that he's getting all this help, its not just PH, that's just Phase One.  One person graduated from the program (which takes anywhere from 1 - 2 years depending on how many setbacks you have) and it was a huge celebration for him.  A lot of people were crying.  I am glad K got to see that.

Also, K had a haircut!!!  I don't know who cut his hair or how, but it looked better.  Another positive - he was not alone in the cage or holding cell today so hopefully he did'nt have his typical court day panic attack from being left alone in a tiny room for hours.

There were three other men with him, all older.  One stared at me the whole time which gave me the creeps because it was one of those stares, if you ladies know what I mean.  I think its good for K to be around the old dudes to remind him of how he does NOT want his life to turn out (they looked like they were in their 60's I have no idea how old they really were).

Thanks again.  I am hopeful once again, at least for today.

10 comments:

Starrlight said...

Good to hear Barb!

Mom of Opiate Addict said...

Oh, this post warmed my heart! I was thinking of you and Keven today, so glad it worked out in a positive light. See, sometimes we get all worked up about stuff only to be set straight by God:) On a side note, I wish we had a program like that in our small community. I live in a small conservative community, not always the best for addiction programs. Glad you had a good experience today!!

Midnitefyrfly said...

I am so so happy to hear it went so well! "Never Never Never Give Up!"

I, too, had been thinking of you today and feel good that you have found hope in today. ((HUGS))

Lou said...

Excellent that they didn't ask Keven's opinion.. they just put him in there.
Sleep well tonight, Barbara!

Wonder Boy said...

Thanks for sharing the news. All my positive thoughts and hopes are being sent your way.

Sharon G said...

I love this judge. Glad to hear things are progressing, that YOU are going to meetings, and I hope church soon ;-)

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Starr, thanks. I hope you never, ever have to go through this with Kidlet!

Mom, I could FEEL people thinking and praying for us today, it was overwhelming at times because I just knew God was listening.

Firefly (I decided to call you both names) thanks, I will NEVER give up and your life is one of the best inspirations I have for MYSELF and for my son.

Lou, I know! Last time they did and he went on and on...I was so grateful they did not even ASK this time.

Wonderboy, you ARE wonderful :)

Sharon, if I go to church hell may freeze over...but your church is my church if I go to one cause of the Lyle/Clyde connection.

Purposeful, Congrats on 97 days and thanks for sharing your victory with us! I will check out your blog.

Rahime said...

I'm so glad the judge is putting some pressure on Phoenix House. I hope he really does get in by mid-Nov.

Happy to hear it went well!

Her Big Sad said...

Good news all around! I hope this program and his willingness all collide in a perfect storm and he is able to focus on himself and learn about the tools he can use to stay clean. I am SO HOPEFUL for him!!

Rest well tonight, indeed!!

:)

Syd said...

I'm glad for Keven. And I'm glad that you can rest a bit easier. Hang in there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...