November 12, 2009

A Former Addict's Thoughts on: the "E" Word



 
These words come from a former addict:

"Just as little comforts in jail (a letter, a snack, a visit) make something rather unbearable tolerable, little comforts in life can make addiction tolerable. I can see (cause the lights are now ON and I am not in a dark place) how an addict needs total isolation and despair to find their inner fight."

Here is the link to her wonderful blog: 




When I found her blog I stayed up for hours reading every single post.  Her life story is full of tragedy, drama and heartache - but she has overcome every obstacle and still growing steadily on her journey. 

In today's post she talks about how it felt to look back on using meth, and how easily the good memories of using can pop up.  I think its so helpful to hear things from the standpoint of an addict or former addict.

The message she has for parents of addicts is one I hear over and over....but can never hear often enough.  A lesson I am STILL struggling to learn.
Yep, the dreaded "E" word.  

As I visit blogs lately I see a theme....some of us do things we know are enabling our children/family member.  Or we just slip and then realize "OMG I just enabled!"  Sometimes its a matter of not truly understanding the difference between Loving and Enabling.

Its something we all agree is NOT HEALTHY but so many of us fall back into that pattern and then have to live with all the negative consequences of how horrible it feels to want so badly to do the right thing, yet fail.

We feel guilty, embarrassed, angry at ourselves, worried what damage we've caused, concerned of the what others will think of us, self-critical, ashamed....the list goes on.

Its like enabling to the loved one of an addict is our form of RELAPSE.  We're  compelled to help because we LOVE our addict so much!  Its hard for the heart to agree with the mind when it comes to "help" vs. "harm".

So, all this to say, read Midnitefyrfly's blog.  She's a gem, a beautiful soul with a lot to say.

UPDATE!!!  Also another must read today is Lisa C's blog, Loving and Parenting an Addict, which is also on the "E" word.  I just read her post out loud to my sister and we both just nodded our heads in agreement through the whole things.  Sigh.  Can someone please hit rewind on my life and let me redo the last few years???? 

6 comments:

LisaC said...

Barbara(aka Layla)...Wow! I said in a previous blog that I am often amazed that I'm thinking something about addiction, about my son, about my life, about enabling, about loving, whatever, and I read blogs and it seems like the words on the page are written for me!

Your thoughts and your blog felt like my blog and my thoughts. It really does help not to feel alone.

Thanks for the referral to My Sacred Insanity. I want to continue to learn. And I will reach out to you and we will meet!

Midnitefyrfly said...

Thank you so much Barbara. It feels so good to know that what I say means something and maybe even helps someone. If even just one someone, then it is worth putting out there.

...and yes isn't it funny how in the mission of help and hope, words that reach out and touch, seem to find their way into cyber space- almost as if they were meant JUST for YOU?

I am loving this amazing opportunity more and more all of the time.

thank you again Barbara :)

Michael said...

Enabling is something I think that we all do to the ones we love. The problem is it just makes it easier for the undersired behaviour to continue, When I was active in my addiction, (alcholism) my parents enabled me paying my fines, making excuses for me, giving me a ride when my licence was suspended, etc. All of this enabled me to continue in my addiction to the point of near death. Be careful how you love.

Sherry said...

I goggled the "hardest addictions to overcome" a week ago and one of the sites "Psychology Today" said:
1. Love
2. Food
3. Cigarettes
4. Heroin
5. Valium
6. Alcohol
7. Cocaine

No. 1 and 2 make sense to me because they are not illegal and you need them in your life (but they have the capacity to be abused or used to try to fill a void within ourselves. A mother's love especially is very powerful!

justLacey said...

I think Michael gave some good advice. Be careful how you love...

Annette said...

Thanks Barb for the recommendation. I need to see things from the addicts perspective right now. Especially an addict in recovery. Perfect timing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...