November 20, 2009

Cigarettes?


Here is a question:

Do you smoke?
Have you ever?
If so, how long ago?
If you are the parent of an addict - does your child smoke?

I have lots of stuff to share but it will have to wait till later.

Today was pretty dang amazing.  I got to kiss and hug my boy and see his SMILE.

UPDATE:  Thanks for answering my smoking questions and sorry if it caused anyone to want to light up (I hope not).

My answers are:  Yes, I smoked for 15 years (age 15 - 30).  I started smoking when my dad died of lung cancer from being a SMOKER.  I know...there are some real obvious psychological things to be said about that!  I quit the day I found out I was pregnant.  I didtn't touch a cigarette for 12 years then for some reason had a craving and now am in the habit of smoking one Nat Sherman (a weird brand of cig that is kind of like a cigar) per day in the evening out on my balcony.  I have very weird smoking habits.

I asked the question because its so common for addicts to smoke.  Its one of the only drugs my son doesn't like and I am grateful for that, but if he did I would see it as a "minor issue" in light of everything else.

I remember when my young friend (former meth addict) had been clean for about a year or so and her mom kept complaining about her smoking.  This was long before K had started drugs.  I tried to get the mom to be ecstatic that she had her daughter back - so what if she smokes!!!   Eventually this young lady chose to quit smoking too - when she was ready.  

I guess seeing 90% of the people smoking last night made me ask this question.   

OH - and one other thought, its SO HARD TO QUIT.  I was a very light smoker and it was still hard for me to quit, I tried so many times and never could until the shock of hearing "you're pregnant".  I had one more cig as I sat and cried at the horrible news (it was a shock and I admit I was NOT happy at first).  
 



9 comments:

Madison said...

No. Yes. 5 years. Yes.

Sue said...

Do I smoke? Not any more.
Have I ever? Yeah, like a chimney for 20 years.
How long ago? I quit about four or five years ago. Today it was stinking hot and I was in a FOUL mood walking to work and it was like every second person was smoking and I cant STAND it at the best of times but when it's boiling hot it just really PISSED ME OFF. But then, I am a bit of a reformed smoker.

justLacey said...

No, yes, 25 years, my daughter is not an addict but she does smoke which irritates me to no end since I quit long before I ever had her. I am quite the reformed smoker too Sue. Can't stand it.

Rygel said...

no haven't even tried. I guess I draw the line here.. alcohol may socially

Fractalmom said...

Yes, for 35 years.

yes, the addict does, but the other 13 kids I have raised do not.

Tall Kay said...

Wishing you many more dang amazing days! I don't want to talk about smoking.

Mom of Opiate Addict said...

No. Yes. Quit for second time 5/21/01 at 5:56 p.m. (it was that hard to quit and I remember the date and time exactly). Yes, my son smokes when he can get his hands on cigarettes, the bigger worry is the oxy he smokes off of foil.

Mom of Opiate Addict said...

I left an award for you at my blog.

Annette said...

No, I never smoked. But H does and I do view it as a minor issue in comparison. I hope she quits one day, but her smoking cigarettes is the least of my concerns at this point. Besides its none of my business anyway.

Glad you had a good day with your boy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...