December 22, 2009

Anxiety - Thank You - Retrospect

Saw K today and its almost unbearable to see him in the stages of anxiety.  I can see it in his eyes, his breathing, his behavior.  He was able to talk more about it today, which really helps him.  He also told me it helps to talk about his "drug stories" because it takes the edge off wanting to use (I knew this because he sometimes tells me stories I rather not hear).  He doesn't talk about drugs (specifically)  in group because it triggers people, so one guy there, that doesn't have a drug problem, offered to let K share his stories with him.  K says its been a huge help to him to get it "out of his head".

I hate that he needs to be medicated just to get through life, but what alternative is there?  Life is hard enough as it is, why do some people have so much more to deal with?  Why do some people seem to be "okay".  Is anyone really "okay"?  




Thanks for the nice comments about the interview I did with Alltreatment.com.  I had never done anything like that before so it felt a bit vulnerable.  Speaking of that - I also appreciated the comments on the story I re-told about what happened last year at this time.  Its interesting to write something the day it happens, then write about it again a year later with retrospect.  I have a few more stories like that to share in the next few weeks.  Dec/Jan were like a nightmare last year.

Sometimes I feel like I should NOT be sharing all this, that its too personal, that it could possibly hurt K in some way at some time.  But when I get an email or a comment that says "thanks, what you said helped me" I know that its the right thing to do and K would agree.  Amidst all his "issues" he is very compassionate and empathetic towards others and likes knowing that some good can can come from something so dark.


Peace, Hope and Love,
Barbara

4 comments:

Lou said...

Barb, thanks for saying on my blog that we ALL need to speak up. You are right, if we want things to change we need to tell our stories (like you did in the interview) and we need to contact our legislators when things come up for a vote. I follow a lot of drug/alcohol news feeds so I will know what is going on. A lot of it is the same old crap, but every so often I read a ray of hope. The more people in recovery who advocate for prison reform and treatment options, the more change can be effected.

I know you are feeling down, I hope you can find comfort in K's safety and progress this Christmas.

Kansas Bob said...

Ditto Hen - you are an amazing woman!

I was always so blessed when a helpful person came across my sons path. I often think that it is God's way of working in the world.

Syd said...

Barbara, I'm glad that you have weathered these storms of life and have chosen to take care of yourself and move forward on your own journey. I'm sure glad that you are here.

justLacey said...

90 days seems too short a time for rehab and then coming home to you and your family, that concerns me. Is there no recovery house or half-way house that Keven could live in for a while? I think if he could gain some confidence on his own, that would make it an easier transition for you both. Perhaps too much freedom too soon isn't the answer. Are there any alternatives for the both of you? How do you feel about it all?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...