December 4, 2009

A New Blog to Check Out...and its one of our "own" :)

I don't know about you, but I feel like the people that read here have become family.  Many of us are parents of addicts, and I know we care deeply for each others children as we follow their stories hoping, praying, believing the best for each and every one.

For example - Lou's son, Andrew, is getting out of jail tomorrow!  It seems like I know this young man and I am so hopeful and excited for him to set foot outside again and start fresh.

Many of us also follow the story of Alex, he's the Son of Mom and Dad.   Well Alex has started a blog.  I don't know how he's going to feel about all of us checking out his personal thougths, but that's what blogging is about.  I am so GRATEFUL when recovering addicts (like Josh, and now Alex) share what they are going through.  It gives me an idea of what may be going on in my son's mind, gives me more clarity into the depth of the struggle.

I've been close to three addicts (my dear Angel*, Ant and Kay) so I have had an advantage over many parents.  Its helped me so much.  Sometimes teens/young adults share much more openly with someone other than their own parent.  I know my son tells me a lot (more than I want to know) but he still doesn't express how hard this is for him, or what I can do (or not do) to support him.

I'm thankful that Alex is willing to be honest and share.  He's a very good writer.  Check out his blog, Trapped in Addiction.

*"Angel" and I had lunch today and she reminded me again that she stopped using when she was ready.  The many efforts her parents made at sending to her to rehab didn't work.  Living in her car or on the streets didn't make her want to quit.  She got to a point where she realized she needed to get her life together and stop using., and she did it because she was ready.  She's had a good job for the last few years and continues to be promoted.  She is going to school at night to complete her degree.  She is full of compassion, wisdom and grace.  Its a reminder, if she can do it, anyone who truly WANTS it, can do it.  That's the key:  wanting it bad enough.  This both encourages me and makes me nervous about K, I don't think he's completely ready yet.  I hope I'm wrong.

3 comments:

Lou said...

Thanks for pointing me to Alex's blog. I'm glad he is writing, I'm sure it helps him.

Barbara said...

Lou, its helping me to read his thoughts. He reminds me so much of K. Why do these guys feel so bad about themselves? I remember having low self esteem (still do) but they seem to think of themselves as big screw-ups or something and they aren't...they are bright, YOUNG men with futures that could be so satisfying. It breaks my heart.

Addiction--Mom trying to Detach with Love said...

Thanks Barbara for leading me to Alex's blog, I will go check it out right now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...