December 6, 2009

Rush Limbaugh talks to William Shatner about his Opiate Addiction


William Shatner has a new show called "Shatner's Raw Nerve" where he interviews various celebs and gets to the deep stuff that is often glossed over by other "talk show" hosts.

I love The Shat.  He also has every guest bring something, kind of like show and tell type thing, also kind of unique.

Bill had Rush Limbaugh on his show and asked him about his drug addiction (Oxycontin).  This is not word for word, but its very close.  I found myself respecting Rush Limbaugh for what he said (not my usual opinion of him).

I wish people would understand that if it was just a CHOICE to stop, most addicts would have quit by now.
WS:  How do you function if your using all the time?


RL:  You get to the point where your whole life  is "where do I get more?" 
With opiate addiction, you no longer use to get high, you just need it to keep yourself from getting sick (i.e. withdrawal/dope sick).


WS:  Why can't determination, or love, or will power help an opiate addict?


RL:  Because its a brain chemical disease. You need treatment.  You can do it by raw will, but the withdrawal process is like having the worst flu you can image times ten - vomiting, body aches, the whole thing.  I lived in fear of it.


WS:  (said something to the effect that his was a disgrace to his career)


RL:  No, its the best thing that ever happened to me, I wish I would have learned all the lessons I got in recovery when I was 20 years old.

2 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

I love Shatner.. what channel is he on?

Syd said...

I am glad that RL got some help. I don't agree with his political views but agree that I would like to have been in recovery during the teenage years and not have gone as long as I did.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...