December 29, 2009

A Year Ago Today (part two)

(please excuse all the typos in this post!!!  i am leaving them to remind myself what matters in life and what's trivial.  typos are trivial.)

Before I recount what happened last year, I want to point out the positive things I am grateful for that have come about in the last 365 days:

- My son has 129 days clean, he wants recovery, he wants to be well.  Last year at this time he didn't.

- My son is in the same hospital that he's was in last year, but this time he was admitted voluntarily because he knows he needs help.  Last year he arrived in a straight jacket via ambuulance from another hospital.

- I have grown and learned a lot.  Last year I was still so naive, just coming out of denial and didn't have the support I've found through the community of bloggers I know today.

December 29, 2008.

I was feeling very happy because I had just put the finishing strokes on my first ever attempt at painting (see below).  I heard my son walk out of the bathroom and announce to his girlfriend that he had just taken 24 Trazadone and ???? (not sure what else, it was an unfamilar drug to me).  In the next moments of chaos I had called 911 and K bolted out the house running, his girlfriend trying to catch up to him.

I ran also with 911 on the phone with me.  K headed to the nearby park and within minutes the police helicopter was hovering, shining its bright light to try and locate my scared son.

Then K came running past me down the hill and at the same time the cops arrived in a patrol car.  Its hard to say how much time had passed - ten minutes?  20?  I honestly have no clue it was so surreal.

But because the drugs were starting to take affect K slowed down and the cop and I managed to reach him at the same time on the corner of our street.  His vital signs were taken, the cop was super nice (knowing it was a suicide attempt) and assured K he was not in trouble, he just wanted him to sit in the car till the EMTs arrived.

They pulled up and lots of questions were asked and answered.  K was no longer to stand up on his own so they put him on a gurney, turned on the sirens and headed for the ER.  The police talked to me for awhile and told me it would be best to wait an hour before going to visit him.

When we got there we had to wait another hour.  It was my sister, me, his gf, and his three best male friends (non-drug users, still safe and wonderful friends to this day and hopefully forever).

Finally they allowed me to see him.  He was in and our of consciousness.  He had charcoal smeared around his mouth.  He was pale and clammy.  My sis and I sat with him for over an hour, stroking his arms, his hair, telling him it would be okay...

At one point he opened his eyes and looked at me and said "Mom, is this real?"  It broke my heart.  He was a little boy in a bad dream, but it wasn't a dream and he had created the nightmare himself.


Turns out he'd been "snowballing" all day (shooting coke to go up, heroin to go down).  He came home and wanted to die.  He felt like a failure, like he'd never be able to stop using.  Like he'd be better off dead.  Yet, he also admits it was a cry for help since he told us what he did immediately (thank GOD!).

The next morning I went back to visit him and stayed by his side for hours as a guard sat at the end of his bed on "suicide watch".  He was more coherent but still in and out sleep most of the day.  The nurse (big male nurse)  and I tried to get him to stand up to give a urine sample, but he was like a rag doll.  He was still so out of it.  It was determined that he needed to be in a psychiatric ward in another city, so they strapped him up in a straight jacket, loaded him on a gurney and off he went for a "5150" (72 lock down to evaluate him).

The love I had for my son that day - seeing the confused, scared look on his face as they took him away...he'd just turned 18 two weeks prior.  He was just a kid!  Off he went.

It was not the worst moment in this "adventure" of drug addiction, but its up there in the top ten :)

He was allowed to come home on New Year's Eve.  It was a fresh start, a new year. He started going to meetings and it yet in my heart I knew it was only the beginning.  I just knew it.

Part Three of this story will be told on January 6th.  As most of you know, it ususally gets much worse before it gets better.

This is the painting I drew that night, and the painting I drew a few days later.  I haven't felt like picking up a brush again, but maybe one of these days:







Peace, Hope and Love,
Barbara

16 comments:

Michael said...

The story you tell must of been horrifying for you. God has substained you as you made it through this and He is with you. My prayers are with you...

Anonymous :) said...

Barbara, this is such a moving story, ending with the paintings. Wow! If we all started telling our stories, I think people would be stunned at the nightmare ride of addiction. To write that this is not the worst, I can so relate. There's no fun in this at all. Beautiful paintings. A post so many of us can feel. Nothing short of a miracle that K's alive. I pray for him every day.

Anonymous :) said...

p.s. I can't wait to see the third painting. Hope you pick up a brush soon. Being able to paint like that is a gift.

Kay said...

Thanks for directing me here, Barb. Yes, I understand what you're going through! Thanks for sharing your paintings. Someday you will paint again--it's a good outlet. I write poetry, but I'm tired of not being able to write about anything but my son's addiction.

Glad you're here. You are in my prayers!

Elizabeth Ann said...

You paint beautiful.

Poor Keven.. he is so young, and thank goodness this time he volunteer to get help. That is a wonderful thing. He learned to ask for help.

Hugs.

LisaC said...

As I read this story, I could relate; although I'm grateful that Bryan overdosed somewhere else. I don't know what I would have done if I had come home and found him.

I am so amazed by your strength and your growth over the past year. I keep you and Keven in my prayers.

I don't have an outlet like painting or writing. I'm so impressed. The paintings are beautiful. Hugs and prayers to you and yours.

Addiction--Mom trying to Detach with Love said...

As everyone above, I can also relate, especially when you brought up the charcoal, no mother should ever have to watch her child go through that, much less three times (I went through it three times with Z). I think your painting is lovely and maybe it could be your outlet for all the emotions we go through as parents of addicts? What a beautiful gift you have Barbara.

Lou said...

Dear Barbara, when you think your heart cannot take any more pain...suddenly, there is more. I'm glad Keven is in a safe place, a medical place. That is where the med situation needs to be addressed. You are RIGHT not to worry about what comes next.

I consider myself lucky that I did not witness or even know till after the fact about the overdoses (yes, plural). I have given the fear of that over to God, and that has helped me tremendously.

Just do your best each day, and only for that day. I'm praying for Keven.

Kathy M. said...

Barbara, I feel for you. I remember what it was like to sit next to my child in the ER after an attempted suicide. Yes, it does get worse before it gets better, but I'm so glad to hear that K is sober and has a program.

The Girl said...

I am a first timer to your site and wanted say that I hope your son will continue on his path to recovery. I can't imagaine the pain you felt as his mother. So many woman would have given up and let him go - I am in awe of your strength.

Syd said...

That is tough stuff to read. I'm so sorry that he did this to himself.

Heather's Mom said...

p.s. Forgot to comment on your paintings - love them! The second one shows the raw pain. I've always loved your "icon" (is that what it is called?) "profile pic" (???) Didn't know you did it yourself! Thought it was a famous painting you just really liked! :) I do hope you find the strength to go back to painting - like Madison said - ready for the third!
God bless.

Barbara said...

Thanks to each and every comment. I like to respond to each one but don't think I can this time. I TREASURE the words left here. Some days they are the push/hug I need to get by., THANK YOU!

meleah rebeccah said...

this story BREAKS MY HEART. I cant begin to imagine watching your son in so much pain. My prayers are with you. ALWAYS.

PS: I really do hope you pick up a brush soon. Being able to paint like that is a TRUE gift.

Jennifer said...

It just hurt me to read this painful experience. I am so sorry for this hurt.

There is a warmth about you that I feel from your writing, a loving, warm, kind person and I hope for you that you know you give this to others with your words.

I cannot imagine going through this with my child. I just cannot imagine this. I am a child of addicts and fortunately not an addict myself. My experience is very different but I am a Mother and my heart goes out to you.

This memory you have shared, this moment in your life and the life of your son is powerful.

The paintings are AMAZING. I love them.

Guitarman5150 said...

Barbara,

I'm I know this is difficult and I have somewhat watched you go through it for the past year or so.

I have had friends that have done things like this and put the people that they loved in pain, I hate to see you there.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...