December 15, 2009

Oxycontin Express

UPDATE:
The video I linked yesterday is long and most people don't have time to look at it, so may not understand the point I was trying to make.  Here is an excerpt from an artilce in the New York Times called "The Alchemy of Oxycontin" has the same message I was trying to get across:  That it is becoming common in certain areas for oxy to become available to virtually anyone who wants it.  This article is about a small town in West Virginia that has been taken over by addiction:

"A few years ago, Paula says, Man was like any small town in America: you could buy a variety of illegal drugs, as long as you knew the right person to talk to. Pot was big; there was occasionally some cocaine around and a few pills for recreational use. Fads would come and go. But these days, she says, the only drug for sale in Man is OxyContin, a narcotic painkiller that users crush -- to disable its patented time-release mechanism -- and then snort or inject for a powerful and immediate opiate high. Legally, it's sold only by prescription for the treatment of chronic pain. In practice it's available just about everywhere around here, immediately, for cash. The going rate is a dollar a milligram, or $40 for a 40-milligram pill."

''There's always been a certain degree of prescription drug abuse in this area,'' says Art Van Zee, a physician in Lee County, Va., ''but there's never been anything like this. This is something that is very different and very new, and we don't understand all the reasons why. This is not just people who have long-term substance-abuse problems. In our region this is young teenagers, 13- and 14-year-olds, experimenting with recreational drug use and rapidly becoming addicted. Tens of thousands of opioid addicts are being createdout there.''
 "When I returned to the Gateway rehabilitation Center outside Pittsburgh earlier this month, I got a clearer sense of the way in which OxyContin is taking hold in urban and suburban America. I also learned about an unexpected secondary effect of OxyContin abuse: in cities like Pittsburgh, the crackdown on OxyContin is resulting in a sharp rise in heroin abuse."
 Dad on Fire had a link to this video, Oxycontin Express.  Its hard to watch if you know someone addicted to it because it will make you SO VERY ANGRY about:

- how easy it is to get
- how addicting it is
- the "doctors" who have pain clinics just to sell this stuff to whoever wants it
- how little is being done to stop it
- the amount of people, mostly young, that are dying from it (11 per day in Florida)

One thing that really got to me was when someone on the film said (paraphrased)  "If Manatees were washing up on our shores and mysteriously dying we would have no problem getting plenty of funding and support to find out why and save them.  But when it comes to PEOPLE DYING from this DRUG we have very little help, its basically ignored".

Another warming because I know some of you are sensitive to this:  It does show a guy smoking oxy, so please be aware of that.  I haven't watched the entire thing yet but saw enough to know its excellent, but heartbreaking and anger making, info.




Peace, Hope and Love,
Barbara

4 comments:

Lou said...

It's good for parents to be educated. But let's not blame the drug..or the doctors. I see this from both sides. People come to the ER and insist, loudly, they be given painkillers. Often when an aspirin would do.

Oxy is the only thing that will relieve pain in some very ill or terminal people. Patients that really need pain management should not be punished because others abuse drugs. Addicts will always find something to abuse. They will use glue, aerosol, who knows what.

Let's spend money on education and treatment, not more drug laws. Oxy is VERY highly regulated already. The pharmacist must report each script to a central federal clearing house. More people OD on methadone than Rx pills.

Don't get my wrong, Barbara, all the addictions/alcoholism is heartbreaking.

Syd said...

I don't understand how the drug du jour changes every few years but seems to escalate to those that are worse and worse in terms of addiction and mortality.

Heather's Mom said...

I got to 34:15 and the video froze, probably for the best, don't know that I could have handled more. I can only imagine what Heather has been doing - and I probably shouldn't - but it does give me a reality check that we (Heather's family) are right to be taking this seriously. I posted a link to Recovery Happens and the video on a post I did tonight too. Don't think I told you - we are from Broward County (moved north to Volusia County in June of last year).

Right before the video froze, it showed a young woman in jail for selling oxys and she was talking about how hard it was for her 3(?) year old to see her behind glass. And I'm thinking - how do you think your mother feels??? And then they showed one girl in prison's mother raising her kids and I'm thinking oh my gosh my heart goes out to that mother, and that's when the video froze.

Geez, I've missed some awesome posts of yours while recovering...

Barbara said...

Jenn, I was stunned to hear the stats of that county. I am glad they are changing the laws there. It won't solve the problem but hopefully will help reduce it.

Syd, I don't know either.

Heather's Mom, you lived there!!! Wow. I am glad you moved. That video was hard to watch because we know its happening to so many families :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...