December 16, 2009

No More Walking on Eggshells?!

Do you know  what it's like to monitor each word you say so as not to upset someone?  You make sure you phrase things just right so they won't go into a rage, become depressed, hurt themselves or others, or, the worst possible thing of all:  use their drug of choice.

I've been doing that for a long time with K.  It's one of the hardest things to stop doing because his anger or threats of self harm would be so upsetting.

Yesterday I saw him for a little while to drive him to and from an appointment.  It was AMAZING the difference in him from one week prior.  He was fun, friendly, polite, sweet and his old self (talking about all the things he wants: cars, clothes, etc.)

I didn't even think about walking on eggshells, it was just so natural to be around him.  I hope this continues.  I saw a confidence in him.  I think PH is really making a difference in his life and I think that his new meds have kicked it and are working.

I even pushed the limits with him and did something that embarrasses him to death:  "Pour Some Sugar on Me" came on the radio and I car danced :)

He didn't give  the usual "you look so dumb doing that, its so lame, its totally gay!" lecture;  he just said "ummm, Mom?  do you have to do that when I'm in the car?"  I said "why, yes, I do!" and I saw him supressing a smirk as he rolled his eyes and tried to pretend his mother was not "weird".

It was a great experience so I just wanted to remind us all:  There is HOPE. 

Peace, Hope and Love,
Barbara

Song of the day:

4 comments:

Michael said...

Hope is everlasting. It is a wise choice, we must never give up hope as it is a gift from God

Dad and Mom said...

Looks like you may have gotten your Christmas present 9 days early. Merry Christmas.

Sharon G said...

Ahhhhhh....great stuff!

Kansas Bob said...

Good news. Guess we gotta take that hope when and wherever we can get it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...