December 2, 2009

If I can diagnose him, why can't anyone else?  What's it going to take?  How many times does he have to go to jail or the psych ward?  I am getting him yet another new doctor that will take his illness seriously and give him a chance to survive life outside in the normal world.

The attack he had last night was so bad that they thought he was having an epileptic seizure.  No - that's what my son goes through, that's his panic attack.  He lives in fear of them and discovered that the only cure is being high on some form of opiate or benzos.

My personal conclusion is (and no, I am not putting all the blame on doctors but it does diappoint me that I have been pursuing mental health for him for over half his life and yet no one has been able to help us .... yet)

he became addicted to the drugs he uses because he had to self-medicate   None of the psychiatrists he's seen since age 9 has properly diagnosed this issue so he when he discovered something that worked,  Oxy, Xanax, Heroin....he kept using till he got addicted and now he's a felon .  My hope is that he lives to see his 19th birthday which is MONDAY.

This is all from a long article, the whole thing is HERE.   I'm frustrated, angry and feel helpless.

Studies find that people with constant levels of high anxiety stay on guard and “wired” for possible threats in their environment or in a situation, even when told or they know that the situation is non-threatening. A person with anxiety is always on edge, tense, and has a hard time calming their inner self. So while they may appear calm on the outside, on the inside they remain a bundle of nerves, easily set off, scared or startled.

Panic Disorder:


According to the American Psychological Association, each panic attack peaks within about 10 minutes. Sometimes attacks repeat in clusters for up to an hour after the initial attack, with associated fear over the possibility of another attack. Subsequent attacks may occur days and even weeks later.
This element of fearfulness is called anticipatory anxiety. People fear having another attack while performing the same activity or being in the same situation as when a previous attack occurred. Anticipatory anxiety can be so extreme that people turn away from the outside world for fear that another attack will be set off.

According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), panic disorder can also happen with other disorders. Depression and substance abuse commonly occur simultaneously with panic disorder.
About 30 percent of people with panic disorder abuse alcohol and 17 percent abuse drugs, such as cocaine and marijuana. This drug abuse can be attributed to unsuccessful attempts by a person with panic disorder to alleviate the anguish and distress caused by his condition.

Symptoms of Panic Disorder

If not recognized and treated, panic disorder can be devastating because it can interfere with relationships, schoolwork, employment and normal development. It is not uncommon for a person with panic disorder to experience an anxious feeling even between attacks. People with panic disorder will begin to avoid situations where they fear an attack may occur or situations where help might not be available. This happens with both adults and children with panic disorder.

  1. Are you troubled by repeated and unexpected “attacks” of intense fear or discomfort for no apparent reason? YES
  2. During such attacks, do you experience at least four of the following symptoms? YES to  ALL







    • pounding heart
    • sweating
    • trembling or shaking
    • shortness of breath
    • choking
    • chest pain
    • nausea or abdominal discomfort
    • “jelly” legs
    • dizziness
    • a feeling of unreality or being detached from yourself
    • fear of losing control
    • going crazy
    • fear of dying
    • numbness or tingling sensations or chills or hot flashes


  3. Do you have a fear of places or situations where escape or getting help might be difficult, such as a crowded room or traffic jam?YES
  4. Do you have a fear of being unable to travel without a companion?  No
  5. For at least one month following an attack, have you felt persistent:YES (always)







    • concern about having another attack?
    • worry about going crazy?
    • need to change your behavior to accommodate the attack?


In summary, panic disorder results from having panic attacks. Panic attacks are episodes that come “out of the blue.” They peak within a few minutes and cause feelings of terror and alarming physical symptoms.

People often are convinced during the attack that they are dying and describe a panic attack as the most distressing experience that they have ever had. As a natural response, people dread the next attack and often avoid places or situations where they have had panic attacks.**

**Or start using drugs to avoid them.  If a doctor would give him something to help maybe he could stay away from the illegal, addictive shit and have a chance at life.  :(

8 comments:

Barbara said...

Cheri and Wayne, thank you. Those words are simple yet so very comforting.

Bob, That's tragic. The world can be a harsh place sometimes. I am so sorry your son had to endure so much. But he's okay now. And K will be too. I appreciate you so much I can't even say. You've been through it all with me over the last few years.

Addiction--Mom trying to Detach with Love said...

P.S. I also went to therapy and group sessions for panic attacks for at least two years.

Addiction--Mom trying to Detach with Love said...

I had severe panic disorder when I was in my early 20s. Tried many different anti-depressants with no luck (old school anit-dpressants). Finally was given Xanax and I was a different person in 4 days. I was to the point of being Agoraphobic and pretty much got to the point where I wouldn't leave my house. They ran so many physical tests on me before they finally diagnosed me, and that came from a psychiatrist. I am healthy now, rarely do I take any medication. I can see where the Benzo would be a problem for K. Keep the faith and hope, if I can get through those panic attacks, there is hope. Much love, Renee

Michael said...

Xanax is very addicting with a long list of nasty side effects. Panic attacks are very real and most often are not taken seriously and are not properly treated. Xanax is NOT the answer. Praying for you.

Lou said...

I don't know what to say. When dealing with opiate addiction, there are often many side issues that complicate things. I always heard that addiction needs to be addressed as the main problem, then tackle the other issues...but yes, it is a f***in catch 22.

Addiction--Mom trying to Detach with Love said...

I just wanted you to know Barbara that I was not in any way suggesting that K take Xanax!! I just wanted to share my past experience with you to let you know that there is hope, not in the bottle. I worked hard at therapy and in group sessions for well into two years to get better from my panic and agoraphobia. Please don't ever think I would suggest that K take any medication without a medical opinion. Sorry for any confusion. Renee

Barbara said...

Michael, it may not be the answer but one of my friends has been taking it as needed for years and its helped her keep her life "normal". I think for an addict, no its not the answer.

Lou, I don't know what to think either. I'm trying to make sense of something that doesn't make sense. I need to just focus on taking care of me but I feel so frustrated. Some days are so much harder than others.

Thanks, Midnite, you're such a sweetheart and you're so right on. I like our current dr. but he has 15 minute appts. and that's just not enough time :(

Barbara said...

Renee, Oh no! I didn't think that. But believe it or not if they would have offered him one the other night I would have been okay with it. He was a wreck. I am a believer that meds (used as intended) are a huge help. I openly share that I take Effexor and Welbutrin daily and would probably have hit the "off" switch years ago if I didn't

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...