March 4, 2010

1st Family to Family Meeting

Just got home from the NAMI meeting I wrote about yesterday.

Lots of hurting and confused families.  There were 25 people there representing about 12 different loved ones.  Most of the participants were there for their children (Keven being the youngest represented and the oldest being 58!  This very elderly lady was there to learn more about her 58 year old daughter's illness.)

I walked away with several things but I'll share the overwhelming feeling I have right now:

Gratefulness.

I am so thankful:

- that Keven wants to be well and willingly takes his meds (so far)
- for the Recovery Court program that recognized he deserved a chance and was a valuable human being rather than a criminal (all drug offenders deserve this!)
- that he has such a damn good psychiatrist that actually TALKS to him for a half hour each visit and has put him on the right meds
- that this meeting is one mile from my house!  Some people drove a long distance to get there, I lucked out

Two other things I learned: 

1)  Lithium works well for a lot of people but if you stop taking it and start again it loses its efficacy.   

2) It was easy to see who was angry, in denial, sad, frustrated and desperate, etc.  I guess I would fall into the category of being worried but hopeful.


Peace, Hope and Love,
Barbara

7 comments:

Tonjia said...

You are doing such a good job. Love tonjia

Lou said...

You have grown so much, that is why you see the anger and denial in others. I read it on the blogs a lot, but everyone has to come to their own understanding.

My son talked to a real shrink recently, and he said it felt so good she actually listened to him. I could see his relief. We are both lucky they are getting help!

Michael said...

Totally awesome. I believe that God is working in your life arranging all kinds of wonderful things for you.

Elizabeth Ann said...

all good things.

Sue said...

"... that recognized he deserved a chance and was a valuable human being rather than a criminal."

I really want to read The Road by Cormac McCarthy, if only because of this line:

"He thought that in the history of the world it might even be that there was more punishment than crime…"

Heather's Mom said...

This course sounds awesome - thank you so much for sharing the information with us!!!
Love & hugs!!!

Barbara said...

Tonjia, thank you so much!

Lou, your comment means so much to me, wow. thank you. I think its easier to see growth in others than ourselves sometimes so I appreciate that. I am so glad Andrew is seeing someone that is listening! Apparently that's pretty rare these days.

Michael, really? Is he arranging for me to meet a tall, dark handsome stranger? Wait - never mind I have enough strange in my life!

Thank you, Ms. Hen!

Sue, wow. Incredible quote. If you read it let me know, I tried but couldn't do it for some reason. Sometimes its timing.

H's Mom, you're welcome :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...