March 25, 2010

NAMI Class Four

Its kind of hard to explain what we learned tonight - it was about the brain and how if functions.  It was interesting to actually see photos of what a normal brain looks like compared to a brain with schizophrenia. 

We learned about the genetic component and what the percentage risks are of inheriting the disease.

One thing I learned was that schizophrenia is not necessarily a life long disease, it can be treated and never come back after a few episodes.  Bi-polar, panic disorder, major deppresive disorder, etc. are lifelong and need to be medicated.

We learned how all the brain chemicals work and it totally made sense as to why certain meds help certain conditions.

What I personally walked away with tonight a big question:

If addiction is a disease why can't it be treated like panic disorder or bi-polar?  Why isn't there a drug to balance the chemicals in the brain of an addict?  I do believe that addiction is a disease (took me years to accept that but I finally do).  But IF its a disease then why can't it be treated like all other diseases?  Its just as serious, or more serious in many cases, than mental illnesses, where's the medication to help the alcoholic stop drinking or the heroin addict to be able to say no or the smoker to stop smoking?  So maybe its not a disease.  I am confused.  Oh well, its way too late to be thinking about this tonight.

Lets keep encouraging each other, I know a few people need some extra support right now.

P.S.  There is a new social networking site for young adults/teens with mental illness.  If you are interested let me know I will post the link.  I have not checked it out but the young woman that leads our class spoke highly of it.

Peace, Hope and Love,
Barbara

5 comments:

Michael said...

Many diseases have no treatment or cure. The debate about addiction being a disease continues. At times I believed that it was and know I am not so sure. There are many affective treatments and programs for addictions out there that change lives. In the end, the addict must choose.

Bristolvol said...

Amen to what Michael said. The last sentence says it all. Well spoken.

Barbara said...

Michael. Duh. You're right. I shouldn't write blog posts when I am half asleep :)

Anonymous said...

Barbara,...what you said is an important idea though....SO much of this is PHYSICAL that affects the mental that affects the behavior,...that affects all the rest of us, as well as the addict. God willing, I do believe that many medication advances are coming to help with all of this, in the future. Just look at the new medication for quitting smoking(cigarettes ,Chantix,...very successful results from what I've heard. But, still,..OF COURSE,..addicts must choose.
Lori

Tom at Recovery Helpdesk said...

Let's not forget that methadone and buprenorphine (Suboxone/Subutex) are medications targeted at brain chemistry and are used to manage/treat opiate dependence.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...