March 3, 2010

NAMI Family to Family Course

update:  
Please read the comments on this post, especially the one by Her Big Sad, it explains so much about why some people just can't stay off their drug of choice and end up in life cycle of misery.




Starting tomorrow night I will be participating in this 12 week course.  It was highly recommended to me by Kev's probation officer.  I'll be honest - coming to terms with his mental illness is in many ways harder than his drug addiction.  I get drug addiction.  But mental illness?  My kid?  Yet, it is what it is, I want to learn as much as I can. 

Here's the link for details if anyone is interested in learning more about it.

What does the course include?




  • Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders
  • Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
  • Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
  • Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
  • Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening, and communication techniques
  • Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
  • Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
  • Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
  • Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services

How can I find a course in my area?
Family-to-Family classes are offered in hundreds of communities across the country, in two Canadian provinces, Puerto Rico, and Mexico.

8 comments:

Michael said...

This sounds like an excellent course. I encourage to to go and to learn all you can.

Jennifer said...

Your dedication to the health of yourself and family honestly brings me to tears. You are an inspiration!

Sherry said...

Barbara - Thanks for the information - I'm going to look into it!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Wow..interesting...good luck dear

Syd said...

Any forum that can give you information that will help increase your understanding will be good. There will be more tools to help you deal with situations and the illness. I used to attend NAMI meetings because of my mother's depression. I met some nice people who were very supportive.

Lou said...

Andrew's parole officer put him in a great dual diagnosis rehab. He finally saw a real shrink, and had his meds adjusted. It was the best thing that could have happened to him. (That and the fact that he turned himself in.)

I don't know what the meds will change long term, but at least I'm satisfied he talked to a professional.

Barbara said...

Syd, that's good to know. I am hoping to meet some new people in addition to learning a lot.

Lou, I am so thankful that there is such a thing as dual diagnosis rehabs and courts - we need more! It scares me to think - what happens if they stop taking the meds? But can't go there, have to stay in the here.

A Mom's Serious Blunder said...

Barbara I am anxious to hear what you learn from this 12 week course. Sounds intense...hope it gives you some of the answers you seek!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...