March 30, 2010

Does this infuriate you as it does me?

First of all, thanks Ron for pointing out the Diane Sawyer report on heroin in the Suburbs. And thank you Diane for finally using your popularity to promote awareness.

BUT....isn't this a bit too little too late? That's what pissed me off. This is the kind of thing that really makes me MAD.

I have known about this problem for YEARS (even before my son started using). 

In this report they say they are shocked:

that its being done in broad daylight, in the suburbs by teens as young as Jr. High

at how addicting it is, that you can get hooked the first time you try it

that there are kids lined up for beds at treatment facilities but not enough beds to handle the number of addicts

that thousands of teens dying and thousands more are becoming addicts every day!

that only ONE out of TEN heroin addicts succeeds at rehabilitation (our kids are not numbers - but this is a scary statistic and I refused to let it define Keven, Anthony or Kelly. Although, I do believe its true).

DUH! If someone in the media would have listened to the FEW who tried to spread the word a few years ago instead of reporting on some of the ridiculous topics they choose, MAYBE something could have been done to prevent:

This is why I am doing what I can as an individual to increase awareness. I have joined a group (the name is still being agreed on) that partners with several other groups to promote CHANGE. This group was the same one that passed Prop. 36 here in California, so they know what they are doing and have the means to get laws into affect. I am honored to be involved.

Next month we are demonstrating on the court steps in one of the Biggest Cities in our State. I will be there with my sign. It will have a picture of Anthony and a picture of Keven. I am not sure what its going to say yet, but the idea is: Both of these young men deserved an equal opportunity for rehabilitation. One was pushed through the prison system, where he sits today at age 22. The other is moving forward with his life with 8 months of sobriety and a fresh start.

I don't get angry easily. I save my anger for things that matter, and this matters. 

Bottom line:

MAYBE IF OUR GOVERNMENT WOULD SPEND MORE TIME GETTING THE DAMN HEROIN OUT OF THE COUNTRY THERE WOULD BE NO NEED TO BUILD MORE AND MORE REHABS - BUT BECAUSE THEY KEEP LETTING IT IN TO RUIN LIVES THEN THEY BETTER START PAYING FOR US TO HAVE OUR KIDS TREATED AND RE-DESIGN THE JUSTICE SYSTEM TO GIVE ADDICTS A CHANCE INSTEAD OF TREATING THEM LIKE CRIMINALS. IF THEY THINK THE PRISONS ARE OVERFLOWING RIGHT NOW JUST WAIT AND WATCH AS MORE AND MORE TEEN ADDICTS BECOME ADULTS IN PRISON (if they live to be adults) AND AN ENTIRE GENERATION OF YOUNG ADULTS SPENDING TIME IN JAIL INSTEAD OF COLLEGE OR WORKING. IT AFFECTS EVERYTHING, BUT MOSTLY IT AFFECTS THE FAMILIES WHO LOSE THEIR CHILDREN TO THIS EVIL DRUG THAT IS ALLOWED TO BE SOLD (ILLEGALLY) IN OUR COUNTRY YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR.


Peace, Hope and Love (and sometimes anger),

Barbara

P.S. I still hear people say, "my kid will never try that stuff". FYI:
Almost ALL of us said that at one time. I hope parents of young children are thinking "how can I prevent my child from trying that stuff" instead of fooling themselves to think there kid is different.  It happens to all types of people, even kids with loving parents that have had a good upbringing. 


P.S.S.  Someone pointed out to me that my son deserves some credit for his recovery, that the court ordered program helped but that ultimately it was his choice (and continues to be each and every day).  This is very true.  I am proud of my son and tell him that often.  I guess I don't say it enough on my blog, but I am very proud of my boy.

You can't always stop them, but sure as heck can try.

4 comments:

justLacey said...

If it wasn't heroin it would be something else. Why do you think they pulled decongestant from the shelves? The drugs aren't the problem as much as the downfall of life in general. We seem to be continually surrounded by bad news and horrific crimes. Who doesn't wonder at times if this is all there is?

Tom at Recovery Helpdesk said...

Good for you for taking action! I like your sign idea, and I think the images and message will be very powerful.

It does seem very silly that the media seems "surprised." But I think it may be that they need to act surprised and like this is new so that it is "news" and dramatic.

No pulitzer prizes for this series.

Syd said...

I'm glad that you are doing something because by getting busy and being passionate about a subject, it may just help you as well as the kids. I do think that if ever drug were taken away, there would be something else created to try to fog the brain and escape reality. It is a mental obsession and a physical craving plus a spiritual malady.

justLacey said...

Spiritual malady, a perfect description.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...