January 28, 2010

Boundaries Vs. Rules

Be sure to check out the latest post on Intervene written by Ron Grover (aka "Dad"). 



Here is a small snippet:

I have learned that there is a big difference between rules and boundaries. Rules are easy. Rules are set and everyone follows. Boundaries are not rules. Boundaries help direct  your universe when the rules do not apply or are not relevant. My lack of clear boundaries for myself gave me permission and allowed me to justify enabling my son’s drug use. This has probably prolonged his addiction. This is a regret I live with every day.
Boundaries are healthy for you and those surrounding you. I cannot change my addict’s behavior by setting rules. Any success for me in dealing with my son’s addiction is a result of setting good boundaries for myself.


Peace, Hope and Love,
Barbara

4 comments:

Dad and Mom said...

Thank you for your kind words.

It's funny how after so much struggle as you really think about about the past things concerning this addiction stuff do make sense. But so much of the time the urgent gets in the way of the important.

justLacey said...

Amen.

Syd said...

Boundaries are necessary for me. I haven't had good ones. I'm learning how to maintain and keep healthy ones.

Kansas Bob said...

"Boundaries are healthy for you and those surrounding you."

I like that! Not that it is easy to do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...